How to show the interpolated expression in metaprogramming

Here is an example given by the docs.

for op = (:+, :*, :&, :|, :$)
  @eval ($op)(a,b,c) = ($op)(($op)(a,b),c)
end

I am using ASTInterpreter to step through and trying to see which op is being defined. But errors are thrown when I typed either

`op 

or

`$op 

How could I see the expression op in debugger? Thanks!!

Not sure about the debugger, but in the ordinary REPL you can do:

for op = (:+, :*, :&, :|, :$)
    @eval println($op)
end

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work. Here is the error:

1|julia > println($op)
ERROR: UndefVarError: op not defined
 in _step_expr(::ASTInterpreter.Interpreter) at /home/chobbes/.julia/v0.5/ASTInterpreter/src/ASTInterpreter.jl:653
 in step_expr at /home/chobbes/.julia/v0.5/ASTInterpreter/src/ASTInterpreter.jl:666 [inlined]
 in #finish!#81(::Bool, ::Bool, ::Function, ::ASTInterpreter.Interpreter) at /home/chobbes/.julia/v0.5/ASTInterpreter/src/ASTInterpreter.jl:1720
 in eval_in_interp(::ASTInterpreter.Interpreter, ::Expr, ::JuliaParser.Tokens.SourceExpr, ::String) at /home/chobbes/.julia/v0.5/ASTInterpreter/src/ASTInterpreter.jl:1298
 in eval_code(::ASTInterpreter.InterpreterState, ::String) at /home/chobbes/.julia/v0.5/ASTInterpreter/src/ASTInterpreter.jl:1529
 in (::ASTInterpreter.##72#78{ASTInterpreter.InterpreterState,Base.LineEdit.Prompt})(::Base.LineEdit.MIState, ::Base.AbstractIOBuffer{Array{UInt8,1}}, ::Bool) at /home/chobbes/.julia/v0.5/ASTInterpreter/src/ASTInterpreter.jl:1654
 in run_interface(::Base.Terminals.TTYTerminal, ::Base.LineEdit.ModalInterface) at ./LineEdit.jl:1579
 in RunDebugREPL(::ASTInterpreter.Interpreter) at /home/chobbes/.julia/v0.5/ASTInterpreter/src/ASTInterpreter.jl:1693

Apparently, interpolation doesn’t work this way in debugger.

I think if `println($op) works, `$op should have worked too.

Bump.

Bump again. Btw, could this be something missing from the current debugger? A bug??

Metaprogramming happens at parse time, so ASTInterpreter doesn’t have access to it. The easiest way to do that is to put the macro body in a separate function and manually call that on the expression you want to debug.

Thanks for the explanation. Indeed, ASTInterpreter can’t see anything happened in the phase of metaprogramming. No doubt at all. But it’s kind of counter-intuitive since one expects to be able to see the value of every single variable using a debugger, especially when what you’re doing is not debugging your own code but trying to use debugger to step through some other’s code (sometimes it’s a massive package). But my thought may be not very reasonable.

But anyhow I really appreciate your comments!

Here is another thing I come across frequently - when I use back-tick to show the value of some variables, I got the correct value, but wrapped by Core.Box(). For example, I expect `a return me the value of a. But what is returned is something like Core.Box(a). Is this something normal?

I know you’re busy with 0.6. So don’t bother to answer me if you’re hectic. Thanks.