How to plot Newton's method

I only ran from a terminal. I’m not sure, but WGLMakie might work in place of GLMakie.

1 Like

For an x, given f(x) and f'(x), if you want the tangent as y = a + bx, then just match values and derivatives, ie f(x) = a + bx and f'(x) = b, obtaining a = f(x) - x f'(x).

5 Likes

using Plots
using ForwardDiff
f(x)=((x)^6)-2
fp(x)= ForwardDiff.derivative(f, x)
t(x)=-1*(f(x)-xfp(x)+fp(x))
P1=plot(f,1:.001:1.55,legend=false);hline!([0])
for i in 1:9
root=x
x=BigFloat(x)-BigFloat(f(x)/fp(x))
e=BigFloat(abs((x)-(root)))
push!(df,(x,e,f(x)))
t(x)=-(f(root)-x
fp(root)+fp(root))
plot!(t,1:.001:1.55)
vline!([root])
end

this gives me lines with the correct slope, but they don't move with root or x, to be tangents.

Okay, this should work in Jupyter. The @manipulate macro from SimplePlots allows the interaction with the initial point.

using Plots, Interact
using ForwardDiff
D(f) = x -> ForwardDiff.derivative(f, float(x))
f(x)  = x^5 - x - 1
a, b = -1.5, 1.5
nsteps = 20
@manipulate for x0=slider(a:0.1:b, value=1.0, label="x0")
    ts = range(a, b, length=251)
    plot(ts, f.(ts), xlim=(a,b), ylim=(-5,5), legend=false)
    plot!(ts, 0 .* ts) 
    scatter!([x0],[0])

xs = Float64[]
    ys = Float64[]
    for i in 1:nsteps
        x1 = x0 - f(x0)/D(f)(x0)
        append!(xs, [x0, x0, x1])
        append!(ys, [0,f(x0), 0])
        x0 = x1
    end

plot!(xs, ys)

end

[Edited to use Plots+Interact]

I,m getting slider not defined

UndefVarError: slider not defined

Stacktrace:
 [1] top-level scope at C:\Users\Brett\.julia\packages\SimplePlots\6y94O\src\interact\gui.jl:39
 [2] include_string(::Function, ::Module, ::String, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1091

Don’t know if this is helpful but:

Also, see this:

1 Like

Thanks, not what I was thinking,but an interesting approach. I’ll think about it.

You might need the master version using Pkg; Pkg.add("SimplePlots#master")

I’m told that’s not a valid package name. What version of Julia are you using?

now I get

MethodError: no method matching getindex(::typeof(f), ::Int64)

Stacktrace:
 [1] (::SimplePlots.var"#16#17")(::Function) at C:\Users\Brett\.julia\packages\SimplePlots\6y94O\src\plots\plots.jl:16
 [2] plot!(::SimplePlots.SimplePlot, ::Function, ::Vararg{Any,N} where N; kwargs::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Symbol,Tuple{Real,Real},Tuple{Symbol,Symbol},NamedTuple{(:xlim, :ylim),Tuple{Tuple{Float64,Float64},Tuple{Int64,Int64}}}}) at C:\Users\Brett\.julia\packages\SimplePlots\6y94O\src\plots\plots.jl:23
 [3] plot(::Function, ::Vararg{Any,N} where N; kwargs::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Symbol,Tuple{Real,Real},Tuple{Symbol,Symbol},NamedTuple{(:xlim, :ylim),Tuple{Tuple{Float64,Float64},Tuple{Int64,Int64}}}}) at C:\Users\Brett\.julia\packages\SimplePlots\6y94O\src\plots\plots.jl:3
 [4] (::var"#21#22")(::Float64) at .\In[12]:9
 [5] top-level scope at C:\Users\Brett\.julia\packages\SimplePlots\6y94O\src\interact\gui\make_gui_block.jl:13
 [6] top-level scope at C:\Users\Brett\.julia\packages\SimplePlots\6y94O\src\interact\gui.jl:40
 [7] include_string(::Function, ::Module, ::String, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1091

Ooops, that Plots syntax is something I have loaded privately. Add these two lines and comment out the offending one.

ts = range(a, b, length=250)
plot(ts, f.(ts), xlim=(a,b), ylim=(-5,5))
#plot(f, a, b, xlim=(a,b), ylim=(-5,5))

Back to saying scatter not deffined.

I got an eroor trying to install Simple Plots master, and instead did

(@v1.5) pkg> add SimplePlots#master

Not sure, that function is exported here: https://github.com/djsegal/SimplePlots.jl/blob/master/src/plots/plots.jl#L62

I edited the script posted earlier. Try restarting and running that entire script in a cell to make sure all the packages are loading. If that fails, you can do this with Plots and Interact in the same manner, I just thought this would be easier to get going.

still says scatter! not defined

function plot(varargs...; kwargs...)
  simple_plot = SimplePlot(; kwargs...)
  plot!(simple_plot, varargs...; kwargs...)
end

function scatter(varargs...; kwargs...)
  simple_plot = SimplePlot(; kwargs...)
  scatter!(simple_plot, varargs...; kwargs...)
end

it looks like scatter needs to be defined as a function.

Okay, I edited the script from an earlier post to use Plots + Interact. SimplePlots was only intended to make things easier. You may need to install Interact, but try the above after a restart of the kernel.

I can’t execute it in the REPL. it seems to be missing a bracket

It said I didn’t have Web IO, so I put

using WebIO
using IJulia

but it says unable to load WebIO

I’m confused. Interact runs in jupyter, not the REPL. But copy and paste should work without a syntax error.

Interact seems to run in both, the plot doesn’t run .

using WebIO

Unable to load WebIO. Please make sure WebIO works for your Jupyter client. For troubleshooting, please see the WebIO/IJulia documentation.