How to plot in grayscale with gadfly?

Hi,

I have some code roughly like this:

using DataFrames
using Gadfly
df = DataFrame(
    :percent_barrier => sqrt.(rand(100)) .* 100,
    :stop_reason => ifelse.(rand(100) .> 0.75, "Solved", "Timeout")
)
plot(
    df, x = "percent_barrier", color="stop_reason", Geom.histogram(;bincount = 10),
    Gadfly.Guide.xlabel("Time spent solving barrier (10% bins)"),
    Gadfly.Guide.ylabel("Amount of instances"),
    Guide.colorkey(; title = "Stop reason")
)

Which generates the following image:

example

In R, I remember that I just needed to pass some object/flag for it to use grayscale and it was done. I am, however, not finding an easy answer for Gadfly. There is some parameter that I can pass to any plot that use more colors than just black to make it grayscale?

no there is not an easy way. it is possible though to specify all the color defaults with a custom Theme. Gadlfy has two built-in “named” themes: Themes · Gadfly.jl. it would seem useful to have a greyscale theme too. care to submit a PR?

I have read the description of the Gadfly.Theme, and it seems like more than I can handle right now, the following description of a field has also diminished my hopes:

discrete_colormap

A new Theme field, in development. Currently only works with Guide.manual_discrete_key and Guide.manual_color_key. (Function)

So I am not sure if the tools to implement a pervasive grayscale Theme exist currently.

The current way to change to a discrete gray scale for a single plot is:

plot(df, x = "percent_barrier", color="stop_reason", 
    Geom.histogram(;bincount = 10),
    Scale.color_discrete_manual("gray10","gray50"),

Changing colorscales via Theme currently has some issues (see link in https://github.com/GiovineItalia/Gadfly.jl/pull/1118). But these changes are now being rolled out in other PRs (as you see noted with discrete_colormap). The tables in the Gadfly Tutorial show the current status.