How to make Quarto with Julia in VSCode work?

I am facing difficulties trying to use Quarto in VSCode with Julia (again). I have asked a question here before (see this), but at the time I gave using Quarto in VSCode with Julia and simply used Quarto in RStudio with R. However, I’d like to give it another shot.

When I run quarto check on the Quarto terminal in VSCode, I get the following output. Note that the error message is the same I asked about in my previous post.

[>] Checking Quarto installation......OK
      Version: 1.2.335
      Path: C:\Users\hsd36\AppData\Local\Programs\Quarto\bin
      CodePage: 1252

[>] Checking basic markdown render....OK

ERROR: The file cannot be accessed by the system. (os error 1920), stat 'C:\Users\hsd36\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\python3.9.exe'

Now, if I run the same command on the terminal in in RStudio, I get the following. This time Checking Quarto Installation, Checking basic markdown render, Checking Python 3 installation, Checking Jupyter engine render are all OK. There is an ImportError related to a DLL, and I don’t know what to make out of it.

$ quarto check

[>] Checking Quarto installation......OK
      Version: 1.2.335
      Path: C:\Users\hsd36\AppData\Local\Programs\Quarto\bin
      CodePage: 1252

[>] Checking basic markdown render....OK

[>] Checking Python 3 installation....OK
      Version: 3.9.5 (Conda)
      Path: C:/Users/hsd36/.julia/conda/3/python.exe
      Jupyter: 4.11.1
      Kernels: julia-1.6, julia-1.8, julia-1.9, python3

(|) Checking Jupyter engine render....Traceback (most recent
call last):
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\AppData\Local\Programs\Quarto\share\jupyter\jupyter.py", line 21, in <module>
    from notebook import notebook_execute, RestartKernel
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\AppData\Local\Programs\Quarto\share\jupyter\notebook.py", line 18, in <module>
    from nbclient import NotebookClient
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\site-packages\nbclient\__init__.py", line 6, in <module>
    from .client import NotebookClient, execute  # noqa: F401  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\site-packages\nbclient\client.py", line 14, in <module>
    from jupyter_client import KernelManager
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\site-packages\jupyter_client\__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    from .asynchronous import AsyncKernelClient  # noqa
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\site-packages\jupyter_client\asynchronous\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .client import AsyncKernelClient  # noqa
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\site-packages\jupyter_client\asynchronous\client.py", line 6, in <module>
    from jupyter_client.channels import HBChannel
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\site-packages\jupyter_client\channels.py", line 12, in <module>
    import zmq.asyncio
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\site-packages\zmq\__init__.py", line 103, in <module>
    from zmq import backend
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\site-packages\zmq\backend\__init__.py", line 31, in <module>
    raise original_error from None
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\site-packages\zmq\backend\__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
    _ns = select_backend(first)
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\site-packages\zmq\backend\select.py", line 31, in select_backend
    mod = import_module(name)
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\importlib\__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "C:\Users\hsd36\.julia\conda\3\lib\site-packages\zmq\backend\cython\__init__.py", line 6, in <module>
    from . import (
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _device: The specified module could not be found.
[>] Checking Jupyter engine render....OK

I should say that I use Julia in VSCode frequently and have no problem running code. I also have installed IJulia, and when I run notebook(), I’m not prompted to install (Mini)Conda, which I take it as a sign that it’s already installed — not surprising given the results in Checking Python 3 Installation ... OK.

At this point, I do not know what else I should do. All help will be appreciated. I will also look into the possibility of using Quarto with Julia in RStudio. If you know if it’s possible, let me know.

That’s a very old version of Quarto. The latest release is v1.4.551

Is there a reason that you are using that Quarto version?

You may also keep an eye on Native Julia engine based on QuartoNotebookRunner.jl by jkrumbiegel · Pull Request #8645 · quarto-dev/quarto-cli · GitHub which will add a native Julia rendering mechanism to quarto. The package you can already use to manually render the ipynb intermediary is GitHub - PumasAI/QuartoNotebookRunner.jl

4 Likes

There wasn’t any specific reason. I downloaded the new version, but the problem persists.

Thank you. I’ll certainly follow it.