How to make an executable work on different machines (make a dynamic path)?

I have created a project folder TESTEXE and built an executable as below:

module testexe

Base.@ccallable function julia_main()::Cint
    try
        testApp()
    catch
        Base.invokelatest(Base.display_error, Base.catch_stack())
        return 1
    end
    return 0
  end

function testApp()
    filehandle = open("$(@__DIR__)/input.txt", "w")
    write(filehandle, "Hello world!")
    close(filehandle)
  end 
end # module

1- When I click on the executable it creates a txt file input.txt in the folder of the source file ./src/input.txt . Can the txt file be generated in the same folder of executable? so then I only need the generated folder to use it in another machine.
2- The project folder is located in the directory C:\ . When I moved it to desktop C:\Users\amroa\OneDrive\Desktop\testexe , running the executable don’t generate the txt file in the folder of the source file. What should I do to handle this issue to make the executable works on different folders and machines?

1 Like

Only trying to answer your first question. I tested your MWE with the following instrumentation:

function testApp()
    println("$(@__DIR__)/input.txt")
    filehandle = open("$(@__DIR__)/input.txt", "w")
    write(filehandle, "Hello world!")
    close(filehandle)
end 

and it seems @__DIR__ references the source directory of your application. If you change the open call to

filehandle = open("input.txt", "w")

the file will be created in your current working directory. I then tried to get the command line parameters via ARGS with

Base.@ccallable function julia_main()::Cint
    println("$ARGS")
    try
        testApp()
    catch
        Base.invokelatest(Base.display_error, Base.catch_stack())
        return 1
    end
    return 0
end

yielding

String[]

So it seems to me your best bet is to use file system functions, especially cd to dynamically manipulate your working directory.

P.S.: working with ‘PackageCompiler’ is rather time consuming. Building this simple example lasts between 2 minutes (incremental) to 5 minutes (full) on my machine…

1 Like

pwd

1 Like

cd is C(hange)D(irectory).
pwd is P(rint)W(orking)D(irectory).

You probably need something like println(pwd()) to show the current directory in the console and directoryAtRuntime = pwd() in your code snippet.

1 Like

Do you run your executable from Windows explorer? I’d recommend to use Windows command prompt, because then you’ll be able to inspect the stdout and stderr output of your program

Sorry, didn’t see it the first time around: Julia uses case sensitive variable names. directoryAtRuntime differs from directoryAtRunTime.

Oops, I am sorry to make this typo. I checked it works fine.
Thank you very much…