How to indicate a specific path to julia libdl find_library()?

copy paste of this thread :

I’m trying to indicate a specific path to find_library(). Based on the doc, find_library()

Searches for the first library in names in the paths in the locations list, DL_LOAD_PATH, or system library paths (in that order) which can successfully be dlopen’d`

My library foo.dll is located at \library\ unfortunately, I don’t know how to specify it !

1st try : Set the location inside find_library()

const _LIB = find_library("foo.dll", raw"\library")` gave me the following error : 
MethodError: no method matching joinpath(::Char, ::String) Closest candidates are: joinpath(::AbstractString, ::AbstractString...) 

2nd Try : Set DL_LOAD_PATH

DL_LOAD_PATH = raw"../library" (or `DL_LOAD_PATH = raw"/library`) but then : `_LIB==""`

NB : The dll is readable : actually, my code can find it if i place it in my windows path, but i would like to make something more portable)

EDIT :

my path :

├── library
│   └── foo.dll
└── src
    ├── MyPackage.jl
    └── types.jl

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

On Windows, you should use PATH(edit the system environment variable) instead of DL_LOAD_PATH. :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks for your answers. Is there a way to specify the path inside my julia script (with find_library for instance) ?

you could use an absolute path(don’t forget to norm it with normpath).

Unfortunately, I’m still not able to use find_library with my path

LoadError: MethodError: no method matching joinpath(::Char, ::String)
Closest candidates are:
  joinpath(::AbstractString, ::AbstractString...) at path.jl:255

??

what I tried :

CURRENT_PATH = @__DIR__  # "C:\\Users\\julie\\mypackage\\src"
DL_LOAD_PATH = joinpath(@__DIR__, "..", "library") #"C:\\Users\\julie\\mypackage\\src\\..\\library"
const _LIB = find_library("Bid.dll", DL_LOAD_PATH) #ERROR ? 

Could you try find_library(joinpath(DL_LOAD_PATH, "Bid.dll"))? IIRC, the second argument of find_library should be a Vector, so this might also work: find_library("Bid.dll", [DL_LOAD_PATH])

const _LIB = find_library("Bid.dll", [DL_LOAD_PATH]) worked like a charm, thanks a lot !