How to have the suppressed bytes shown using ASTInterpreter?

I’m using ASTInterpreter to step through a piece of code by a collaborator. However, since some of the keywords are really lengthy, they’re not shown but suppressed. I’m wondering if there is a way to have the words shown, irrespective of the length of the contents.

About to run: (size)(<suppressed 93 bytes of output>,1)

Tweak the length threshold or revert this PR (locally):

https://github.com/Keno/ASTInterpreter.jl/pull/45

(you’ll understand why the change was made very quickly if you work with any moderate-sized array or step into IO code)

Thanks for the comments. Could you please elaborate a little more on how to tweak the length threshold? I’m not quite inclined to locally revert that particular commit. Thanks!

If you click on that link, it takes you to the pull request. Then click on “files changed” and you can see which lines of code were added (green). Look at the code, and from there you can probably figure out what you need to change.

Thank you very much for pointing that out. I see it now. Just curious - isn’t it more convenient if ASTInterpreter users are allowed to set this number at REPL, instead of changing this line locally?

The easiest approach is to not modify it at all. At the prompt, type the ` key, and then inspect the variable at the interactive prompt by typing it at the (now green) prompt. Or if it’s the output of a function call, just re-run the function.

If that’s still not good enough, one could talk about further customization, but that might be best done on GitHub.

Printing the variables by using ``` is a solution. But it requires quite a lot of extra typing, which significantly slows down the debugging. I wish more customization can be introduced to the future version of Julia debuggers.

Thanks for the comments!!!