How to define a file, `include()`, and variables globally during `Distributed.jl` for loop

Hi All,

So I’m trying to set up a script to run in parallel on my machine and I’m having some trouble. I’m still new to doing distributed jobs in Julia, so any advice is appreciated :slight_smile:

What I want to have happen is to include a number of scripts, a single data file, and a few variables globally for all workers to use. I then want to run through a for loop that takes an element of the data file (i.e. one row), runs a set of functions (the ones defined globally from the scripts) and then writes a file.

In a toy example I imagine it working like this:

Where each worker takes a row from the same data, runs the same function on each row, and outputs a separate file.

I have created a small reprex of this. Imagine I have a file, def_functions.jl that has the function I want all workers to be able to use. That file looks like this:

function add_2!(a::Int8, b::Int8, c::Int8, i::Int8)

c = c + a + b
    c = [c]

writedlm("./src/reprexs/data_$i.csv", c, ",")
end 

In a separate file, run_in_parallel.jl, that looks like this:

# set up cores 
using Distributed
addprocs(1)

@everywhere begin 

# READ IN CSV - i'll aproximate it with a vector
    # what I want to have here is vec_to_pass be read in as data from the local
    # machine that then is available to all workers 
    vec_to_pass = [1,2,3,4,5]

# jenky way to get the path to the file for the include()
    path = pwd()
    path = path*"/src/reprexs/def_functions.jl"
    include(path)

# variables I want to be the same across the different cores
    a = 4
    b = 3

end 

@distributed (+) for i in 1:10

add_2!(a, b, vec_to_pass[i], i)
end 

But I get the following error:

ERROR: TaskFailedException
Stacktrace:
 [1] wait
   @ ./task.jl:322 [inlined]
 [2] fetch
   @ ./task.jl:337 [inlined]
 [3] preduce(reducer::Function, f::Function, R::UnitRange{Int64})
   @ Distributed /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Distributed/src/macros.jl:278
 [4] top-level scope
   @ /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Distributed/src/macros.jl:289

nested task error: On worker 2:
    MethodError: no method matching add_2!(::Int64, ::Int64, ::Int64, ::Int64)
    Stacktrace:
     [1] macro expansion
       @ ./REPL[4]:2 [inlined]
     [2] #5
       @ /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Distributed/src/macros.jl:291
     [3] #106
       @ /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Distributed/src/process_messages.jl:278
     [4] run_work_thunk
       @ /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Distributed/src/process_messages.jl:63
     [5] macro expansion
       @ /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Distributed/src/process_messages.jl:278 [inlined]
     [6] #105
       @ ./task.jl:411
    Stacktrace:
     [1] remotecall_fetch(::Function, ::Distributed.Worker, ::Function, ::Vararg{Any, N} where N; kwargs::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{}, Union{}, Tuple{}, NamedTuple{(), Tuple{}}})
       @ Distributed /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Distributed/src/remotecall.jl:394
     [2] remotecall_fetch(::Function, ::Distributed.Worker, ::Function, ::Vararg{Any, N} where N)
       @ Distributed /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Distributed/src/remotecall.jl:386
     [3] remotecall_fetch(::Function, ::Int64, ::Function, ::Vararg{Any, N} where N; kwargs::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{}, Union{}, Tuple{}, NamedTuple{(), Tuple{}}})
       @ Distributed /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Distributed/src/remotecall.jl:421
     [4] remotecall_fetch
       @ /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Distributed/src/remotecall.jl:421 [inlined]
     [5] (::Distributed.var"#157#158"{typeof(+), var"#5#6", UnitRange{Int64}, Vector{UnitRange{Int64}}, Int64, Int64})()
       @ Distributed /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Distributed/src/macros.jl:274

I’m not totally clear on how to parse this error, particularly the fact that on worker 2 there is a method error. I think there’s some issue with how I’m expecting the @everywhere ... to define things globally and how it’s actually doing so.

I’ve looked through the docs but still not sure how I should go about fixing this. Any suggestions much appreciated!!