I am facing the issue that my lovely tool “Papers”, which I use for managing scientific resources is only available for macOS and iOS and I am gradually switching to Linux for work; I need to be able to work on both.
The key features I definitely love are (and am used to):
- “matching” (I can import an arbitrary PDF and Papers usually finds the reference and downloads the metadata)
- exporting bibtex entries (this works out of the box in Papers due to the “matching” feature)
- tagging/organising in general
- annotating (this is optional as it can easily be done using external PDF viewers)
- syncing (it’s convenient to be able to access everything from my phone/tablet/mac)
The downsides of my current setup are:
- Proprietary (unable to access the data without the app)
- Not available for Linux
I just found that there is ReadCube.com which is promoted on the Papers website but I have not figured out how to import stuff. Also I am not really happy with a web app with an online library, I prefer to have my stuff also available offline.
Long story short: how do you guys organise your papers? I am sure there are better ways…