High precision interval rounding error

Before everything I need a disclaimer: I do understand that the precision which I set is comically large. However, there is a legitimate reason for what I am doing, but I’m not going to go into it.

The following snippet of code

using IntervalArithmetic
setprecision(8384);
y = @biginterval sqrt(big(2));
x = @biginterval 1;
exponent(diam(y))
exponent(diam(x))

spits out -8383 and then throws ERROR: DomainError with 0.0: "x" must be non-zero and finite.

I assume this is a bug, but I’m not sure where the bug is. It could be in InvervalArithmetic, but it could also be as deep as in MPFR. Does anyone have any insight to this?

The problem is that the logical epsilon for 1 is 0 (Int’s are exact). Did you want x = @biginterval big(1.0)?

1 Like

It throws the same error.

This has nothing to do with intervals as such.
@biginterval 1 contains an interval of 0 width, and then:

julia> exponent(0.0)
ERROR: DomainError with 0.0:
Cannot be subnormal converted to 0.
Stacktrace:
 [1] (::Base.Math.var"#throw2#4")(::Float64) at ./math.jl:784
 [2] exponent(::Float64) at ./math.jl:789
 [3] top-level scope at REPL[7]:100:

It does not make sense to ask for the floating-point exponent of 0.0.

3 Likes

In principle intervals with that precision should work fine. There may be some issues with displaying the results; if so, please raise them at https://github.com/JuliaIntervals/IntervalArithmetic.jl/ (and preferably help to solve them :wink: )

2 Likes

Oh, I see. Since the number 1 can be represented exactly as a floating point number, the upper and lower bounds of the interval are equal. So then the diameter is exactly 0 and its exponent is not defined.

I assumed that since the floating point number 0 is stored in the memory with some exponent, exponent would return a number. But, I see why this could be problematic in some cases. Thanks!

1 Like

0.0 (and -0.0) are both kind of special cased in the floating point standards. If you didn’t, they would be interpreted as 1.0*2^-1024 (except maybe not cause subnormal numbers)

2 Likes