Help Using DuckDB

I get an error when trying to use DuckDB. Is it my setup, something I might be doing wrong, or possibly a package issue?

julia> using DuckDB
Precompiling DuckDB
Info Given DuckDB was explicitly requested, output will be shown live
ERROR: LoadError: could not load symbol “duckdb_vector_size”:

Thank you for any help you might give a newbie hobbyist.

I get the same error. See:

Apparently a Windows issue, it works in WSL

Note this comment Windows CI for the Julia Pkg errors with 'Could not load symbol "duckdb_vector_size"' · Issue #13911 · duckdb/duckdb · GitHub

The DuckDB Julia API is experimental and not covered by community support. We welcome contributions fixing this issue but the core team is unlikely to fix this bug in the near future.

Just curious, how long would it take an average person to learn what’s needed to work on this issue and where would one begin? Any suggested beginning steps?

If you read through that issue, people mention using pin or compat as a temporary workaround. You can actually see their PRs since the repos are public.

A bit unclear if both DuckDB and DuckDB_jll need to be limited.

Last comment mentions 1.1.1 works Windows CI for the Julia Pkg errors with 'Could not load symbol "duckdb_vector_size"' · Issue #13911 · duckdb/duckdb · GitHub
so I’d assume it will be fixed with next release.

Read about compat if you’re unfamiliar 6. Compatibility · Pkg.jl

Arlo, thanks for your help. It was just enough. I found this from GhostOfElectric, and it worked for me.

If the 1.1.1 C/C++ windows library is downloaded from the DuckDB website and an environment variable JULIA_DUCKDB_LIBRARY is set to point at duckdb.dll within it, then the latest version will successfully compile in Julia on windows.

Loading the dll from DuckDB’s github directly and following the approach from Cannot install FTS extension in DuckDB - #21 by novemberist
worked for me.