Have I bought a fake i9-11900K?

is this a Dell OEM machine? this along should have convinced you it’s not a fake CPU…but good luck getting Dell to fix their poor overall design (i.e what mobo goes with what CPU and power etc.) if you still can, maybe just return it…

2 Likes

Yes. Now I believe it’s not fake, but just limited by a garbage mobo. No chance to return now, but just complain to the support.

I trust @elrod on this one, too. But it would be interesting to hear how they defend this. OTOH it could be time consuming if they start letting you change all possible BIOS settings…

The RAM is running in single channel mode, which limits the performance of that processor probably by quite a bit. I tried looking for some benchmarks but didn’t find any, maybe someone here with 11900K can run a quick benchmark of single vs. double channel.

I don’t really get how Dell can sell systems like this in good conscience, the price difference between 1x32GB and 2x16GB is low and the performance difference is definitely noticeable.

1 Like

They didn’t defend it at all. They said it’s just the design of their engineers and they showed all the parameters (including the B560) on the product info page, so it’s my fault to buy such a garbage …

1 Like

You can fix most of these issues with a second 32GB stick, I don’t think a new motherboard would be necessary to see reasonable performance.

1 Like

Sorry to hear and thanks for following this up.

IIUC they offer a bad combination of motherboard and CPU and a bad memory configuration to other unsuspecting customers, too. Not everyone will run benchmarks. This is terrible business behavior for a brand.

2 Likes

Probably because this type of desktops are mainly used in business office, very few people will run benchmarks on linear-algebra performance in Julia like me …

We have a dell 3640 here with an intel i7-10700. With the stock cooler it hits the thermal limit after a few seconds of high load. So don’t expect too much even after a RAM upgrade. I only have bad experiences with dell…

1 Like