Google Sheets

I would like to modify Google spreadsheets using Julia. The API is well documented but, sadly, without examples using Julia.

I don’t have much experience with web-based API’s and would appreciate pointers on where to start. I am reasonably familiar with JSON. Should my next step be to start digging into Requests?

I took a look at GoogleCharts and decided that I would prefer not to work with Mustache unless I need to. Similarly I looked at Jenny Bryan’s googlesheets package for R and decided not to follow that design (forgive me, Jenny).

Am I missing prior art here? For example, authentication (OAuth?) or Google Drive integration?

3 Likes

Working with REST API using Requests.jl should be pretty straightforward. Not sure what else to add here until you have more concrete questions.

Right now I am still struggling with authentication. All I have been able to produce to this point is

Response(403 Forbidden, 14 headers, 130 bytes in body)

The OAuth2 stuff seems a bit inscrutable.

I’m not terribly familiar with the web stack, but I do know that HTTP.jl is a superset of Requests and seems to be better maintained these days.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. HTTP.jl looks to be more convenient and full-featured than Requests.jl

can you please post a minimal example how to modify google spreadsheets with julia?

1 Like

Have you seen: GitHub - chipkent/GoogleSheets.jl: Julia package for working with Google Sheets?

2 Likes