Goodbye julia discourse

Good bye Julia discourse! it has been useful and fun using this website, but I’m going to quit the website for a while and may not respond again here.

The website is no longer any fun to use since the “Julia Stewards” threaten me with investigations and allegations that I am supposedly a hostile.

I say go ahead and investigate, have fun! Meanwhile I am going to stay away from discourse and work on my research and programming ideas.

I’m sorry to hear that. Personally speaking, this is a group of really cool and smart people who are willing to help at the drop of a hat.

It’s possible to come across as hostile even if you don’t intend to be (the magic of the written word!), so I wouldn’t take such things too personally. Given that this is a public forum, such policies are often needed and tend to err on the conservative end. I don’t think you or the community members mean any harm at all. Take some time off, relax and hope you come back to help a lot of people out with their programming woes :grinning:

6 Likes

No, the Julia stewards clearly do NOT have any good intentions, because they refuse to show me a reference of what I did wrong and they refuse to tell me who the person is whom I supposedly offended.

Clearly, the Julia stewards are themselves the hostiles in this situation, because they are threatening to harm me without showing any evidence that I actually harmed someone else.

I have yet to know whom I supposedly offended and what I have done to offend this non-existant person.

In conclusion, the Julia stewards apparently make unfounded threats against people like me, without being held accountable with actual evidence.

1 Like

Did you not have a similar experience in academia?

2 Likes

Being offended is quite subjective. It’s entirely possible that the person felt offended even though I’m sure you didn’t mean it. Given that, he or she took some recourse available, maybe just to feel they’re under control or just to feel easy by letting someone else know about it.

I’m not a Julia Steward, but such reactions are typically why someone would be uncomfortable sharing the identity of the person who complained. I highly doubt someone is out here to personally inflict harm on you — we all have our individual lives and this is just a casual forum which most of us check sporadically.

Just a general comment: as outlined in the community standards and stewards pages, when concerns are reported to us, they are treated as confidential, and our standard process is to respond with informal feedback (also confidentially).

This forum welcomes all good-faith contributors, but it is moderated to enforce the community standards, and personal attacks are not tolerated.

17 Likes

If personal attacks are not tolerated, then why is it okay for the Julia stewards to threaten me and personally attack me?

I have not personally attacked anyone, and am only aware of the personal attack from the Julia stewards against me.

The julia stewards should investigate themselves for misconduct here.

You cant just claim I attacked someone and not have any evidence or person whom i actually attacked.

As far as I know, this situation was made up as an attack against me, and I am not aware of any harm or attacks I have made against anyone, aside from pointing out the misconduct of the julia stewards.

Nice censorship there by the way, trying to delete anything that implicates misconduct of julia stewards

I think this thread has gone far enough – and nowhere. There is a procedure for resolving these matters (linked to from above). If the procedure was not followed, let’s hear about it. Otherwise, let us drop this.

4 Likes

Where can I file complaints about misconduct of the Julia stewards themselves, except in a public thread?

Clearly they will not investigate themselves privately.

No one has attacked you or threatened you. It doesn’t seem like you are complaining about any specific actions of the Julia Stewards, but rather you are objecting to the very existence of a confidential complaint process or that someone might receive even mild informal feedback about how they interact with others.

Good-faith, polite discussion of the community standards is welcome. Unfortunately, you are continuing to escalate this discussion to an unpleasant degree, such that several overtly belligerent posts have been deleted.

For the same reason, we are also locking this thread.

11 Likes