Functions in a loop over string array usually returns nothing

I’m not sure the best way to summarize this (hence the bad title), but I have a list of directions (a string array) and I want to do something with them. First I make a function to generate the list

function list_dirs()
    return filter(x-> isdir(x) && ! occursin(r"^\.",x), readdir())
end

Note that have return in there does not seem to make any difference (I guess Julia can infer what I want?). If I then execute

for directory in list_dirs()
    cd(pwd,directory)
    println("it ran")
end

I get a bunch of “it ran” and nothing else. However cd.(pwd,list_dirs()) works as expected. Also length(list_dirs()) makes sense. typeof(list_dirs()) is also outputing Array{String,1} as expected. Also cd(pwd,list_dirs()[1]) works.

To make things stranger (at least for me),

println(directory)
end

prints the array elements. However this is the only function that seems to be able to act on the array. Trying to instead loop over dir_list = list_dirs() doesn’t help.

To me it feels like I’m missing something fundamental. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s an issue of scope. This is especially frustrating since I recently wrote another script which loops over a file list and operates on the elements in that list.

1 Like

pwd() returns a string, rather than actually printing the working directory. Since for loops return nothing, you don’t get to see that string unless you explicitly print it. Try this:

cd(println ∘ pwd, directory)
end
2 Likes

Right, the last expression in a function is automatically returned. Using the return keyword at the end of a function is optional, since it doesn’t change the behavior of the function at all. The return keyword is only necessary if you want to return early, as in:

function foo()
  if something()
    return
  end
  do_something_else()
end
4 Likes

Thanks, I feel really stupid now, but that was a good lesson so I also feel less stupid than before.

I tend to proto-type everything in the REPL using basic commands (I’m pretty sure that’s normal). In this case had I just run what I wanted in the first place it would have worked.

Julia can really do some nice things with scripting. Not that I need to tell anyone (just about everyone is more familiar with Julia than I am).

@rdeits

Thanks for clearing that up. That makes sense. I guess I’m overly used to explicitly declaring what needs to be returned. Kind of like how after 4 years I’m still uncomfortable writing n = 1 rather than Int64 n = 1.

1 Like