Flux sending model to gpu does not behave well

Hello,

I have a pretrained custom model which I use it as the input for a second model.
I can send the first model to gpu without any issue and save the model parameters as expected. The second model just copies the parameters of the first model and creates another custom model. But when I send this 2nd custom model to gpu it simply does not.

For the mwe:

using Flux: Embedding, EmbeddingBag
using BSON: @save

# this is from first model
struct GEmbeddings                                                                                                                                                         
    WE::Embedding                                                                                                                                             
    CE::Embedding                                                                                                                                             
    wbias::Embedding                                                                                                                                          
    cbias::Embedding                                                                                                                                          
end

function createParams(VSIZE::Int64, IN_DIM::Int64)                                                                                                            
    WE = Embedding(VSIZE, IN_DIM, init=Flux.truncated_normal());                                                                                              
    CE = Embedding(VSIZE, IN_DIM, init=Flux.truncated_normal());                                                                                              
    wbias = Embedding(VSIZE, 1, init=Flux.truncated_normal());                                                                                                
    cbias = Embedding(VSIZE, 1, init=Flux.truncated_normal());                                                                                                
    return WE, CE, wbias, cbias                                                                                                                       
end                                                                                                                                                   

# this is for the second model
struct GEmbeddings2                                                                                                                                                          
    WE::EmbeddingBag                                                                                                                                             
    CE::EmbeddingBag                                                                                                                                             
    wbias::EmbeddingBag                                                                                                                                          
    cbias::EmbeddingBag                                                                                                                                          
end

# copy parameters of the first model as embedding bag

# copy and create Parameters                                                                                                     
function ccParams(model::Glove)                                                                                                                             
    names = fieldnames(typeof(model))                                                                                                                        
    fields = map(name -> getfield(model, name), names)                                                                                                        
    WE, CE, wbias, cbias = map(x -> EmbeddingBag(size(x.weight, 2) => 
                                                   size(x.weight, 1); init=(_,_) -> x.weight) , fields)                                                                                                                                                                                     
    return GEmbeddings2(WE, CE, wbias, cbias)                                                                                                                  
end                                                                                                                                                           

# creating 1st model (Glove)
WE, CE, wbias, cbias = createParams(10, 20) # dummy inputs 
model = GEmbeddings(WE, CE, wbias, cbias) |> gpu # works perfectly fine
# returns all parameters as expected
model2 =  ccParams(model) 
# does not send the parameters to gpu
model2_gpu = model2 |> gpu 

In order to send the parameters of the 2nd model to gpu, I have to call |> gpu for every EmbeddingBag: WE, CE, … I am also ok with that. But the annoying thing is that when I try to save the 2nd model parameters, which I have to send them to cpu, I cannot see them. In execution of the model file, the model seems to save the parameters but when training finishes I do not get any values from the saved .bson files.

Could some help ?

B.R.

The gpu and cpu functions require that model compontents holding parameters implement the functor methods from Functors.jl and I dont see that in your mwe code.

Should just be a matter of adding @functor GEmbeddings after the struct definition.

Thank you! Actually, for my 2nd model, I build a custom chain model.

struct MyCustom
     combined::Chain
end
Flux.@functor MyCustom

my_custom = chain(model2, dense(x, y)) 
new_model = MyCustom(my_custom) |> gpu

I thought the last line would send the model to the gpu.