FloatingTableView with Jupyter Notebook?

FloatingTableView is a cool package for the console, but it doesn’t seem to work within a Jupyter Notebook (either using Jupytern or VSCode). Is there any way to get it working, or any alternatives for Notebook?

Thanks for any help - this would be really handy for my students

What is the error? I just tried getting it to work in a Jupyter Notebook and it worked fine.

Thanks - it was inside VSCode’s implementation of Jupyter Notebooks

browse(df)

IOError: connect: connection refused (ECONNREFUSED)

Stacktrace:
  [1] wait_connected(x::Sockets.TCPSocket)
    @ Sockets /Applications/Julia-1.8.app/Contents/Resources/julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Sockets/src/Sockets.jl:529
  [2] connect
    @ /Applications/Julia-1.8.app/Contents/Resources/julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Sockets/src/Sockets.jl:564 [inlined]
  [3] connect(addr::Sockets.IPv4, port::Int64)
    @ Sockets /Applications/Julia-1.8.app/Contents/Resources/julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.8/Sockets/src/Sockets.jl:550
  [4] try_connect(::Sockets.IPv4, ::Vararg{Any}; interval::Float64, attempts::Int64)
    @ Blink.AtomShell ~/.julia/packages/Blink/mwJC9/src/AtomShell/process.jl:79
  [5] try_connect
    @ ~/.julia/packages/Blink/mwJC9/src/AtomShell/process.jl:76 [inlined]
  [6] init(; debug::Bool)
    @ Blink.AtomShell ~/.julia/packages/Blink/mwJC9/src/AtomShell/process.jl:93
  [7] #shell#11
    @ ~/.julia/packages/Blink/mwJC9/src/AtomShell/process.jl:149 [inlined]
  [8] shell
    @ ~/.julia/packages/Blink/mwJC9/src/AtomShell/process.jl:140 [inlined]
  [9] #Window#16
    @ ~/.julia/packages/Blink/mwJC9/src/AtomShell/window.jl:89 [inlined]
 [10] Window
    @ ~/.julia/packages/Blink/mwJC9/src/AtomShell/window.jl:89 [inlined]
 [11] browse(df::DataFrame; height::String, newwindow::Bool, kwargs::Base.Pairs{Symbol, Union{}, Tuple{}, NamedTuple{(), Tuple{}}})
    @ FloatingTableView ~/.julia/packages/FloatingTableView/3oFY2/src/FloatingTableView.jl:69

Thanks for any help.

Can you please try opening up a Blink window by itself?

julia> using Blink

julia> w = Window() # Open a new window
Blink.AtomShell.Window(...)

julia> body!(w, "Hello World") # Set the body content

julia> loadurl(w, "http://julialang.org") # Load a web page

Yes, the Blink window was problematic as well.

I just came across something seems I need to run

python3 -m pip install --upgrade webio_jupyter_extension

or Conda equivalent.

The problem lies with Blink, then. See some docs here. Hopefully that isn’t your problem because that would be too much configuration for your students.

Hi. Thanks. What I was hoping for was something like exists in R where table editing of variables via a popout window is really quick and easy. What I have decided to do instead for now is use VSCode’s CSV editor to load/save csv files of DataFrames and use the CSV option to load them in/out of Julia.

A bit clunky, but it works.

Just as a note, this is probably bad practice and should be discouraged. For reproducibility, a;l changes should be done in the code and the raw data should be left “raw”.

1 Like