Finalizers not running

I’m having some trouble getting finalizers to run, it seems that in some cases finalizers are only run atexit, and not when the object seems unreachable and I’ve called gc() a couple of times.

For example, the following snippet works as expected:

type Foo
    field
    function Foo()
        obj = new(1)
        finalizer(obj, finalize)
        return obj
    end
end

finalized = false
function finalize(obj::Foo)
    global finalized
    finalized = true
    msg = "Finalizing...\n"
    ccall(:write, Cssize_t, (Cint, Cstring, Csize_t),
          1, msg, length(msg))
end

let
    foo = Foo()
end

println("Forcing GC")
for i in 1:10
    gc()
end
@assert finalized

However, if I change Foo not to have any fields, the finalizer isn’t run before the program exits:

type Foo
    function Foo()
        obj = new()
        finalizer(obj, finalize)
        return obj
    end
end

ERROR: LoadError: AssertionError: finalized
Finalizing...

Another one, again starting from the top example from this post (ie. with field) but this time throwing a MethodError refering to an instance of foo:

let
    foo = Foo()
    @test_throws MethodError sin(foo)
end

ERROR: LoadError: AssertionError: finalized
Finalizing...

Are these genuine bugs, or am I expecting something from the gc which it can’t/doesn’t guarantee?

cc @yuyichao

Objects without fields (otherwise known as singletons) are never allocated, so they never need to be freed.

I suspected it would be something like that. The second issue is the realistic one though, where GPU array finalizers aren’t run and hence memory isn’t freed.

I’m guessing that @test_throws is creating a new function (rather than a closure) over the variable foo since it sees that it is as the toplevel scope. This is perhaps a lowering bug, but one that exists for compatibility with existing code.

For the second case, it was kept alive in exception_in_transit.

Ah, yes, I had just reduced it to throw(foo)… Thanks.

ah, ok, so it is a bug (submitted https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/20784)