Exponentiation of floats

that absolutely would explain the regression and is a pretty bad performance bug.

Changing this to

@assume_effects :consistent @inline function two_mul(x::Float64, y::Float64)
    if Core.Intrinsics.have_fma(Float64)
        xy = x*y
        return xy, fma(x, y, -xy)
    end
    # return Base.twomul(x,y)
end

and running under Revise seems to mostly fix the regression (~5% slower now compared to 50-100% slower). Interestingly, the regression doesn’t reappear in the same REPL session if I revert the change. I see the same result from test() on 1.9, 1.10 and on 1.10 with the change.

julia> versioninfo()
Julia Version 1.10.0-rc1
Commit 5aaa948543 (2023-11-03 07:44 UTC)
Build Info:
  Official https://julialang.org/ release
Platform Info:
  CPU: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-15.0.7 (ORCJIT, znver2)
  Threads: 1 on 16 virtual cores

It’s weirder than that.

julia> @btime x^y setup=begin x=rand(); y=rand()end;
  42.232 ns (0 allocations: 0 bytes)

julia> @eval Base.Math @assume_effects :consistent @inline function two_mul(x::Float64, y::Float64)
           if Core.Intrinsics.have_fma(Float64)
               xy = x*y
               return xy, fma(x, y, -xy)
           end
           return Base.twomul(x,y)
       end
two_mul (generic function with 3 methods)

julia> @btime x^y setup=begin x=rand(); y=rand()end;
  17.039 ns (0 allocations: 0 bytes)

Just forcing the compiler to re-evaluate exactly the same definition of two_mul is enough to make it fast.

3 Likes

Hey! Thanks everyone for the reply. May I ask whether there was any resolution to this? I keep finding the problem of newer versions of Julia to be consistently slower on benchmarks like this (which can turn rather expensive for some ODE problems).

1 Like

Yes, I think this one was addressed through Fix multiversioning issues caused by the parallel llvm work by gbaraldi · Pull Request #52194 · JuliaLang/julia · GitHub (and backported, too).

Please keep reporting any and all performance regressions — it’s very valuable to get that information.

2 Likes

Any specifics?