Exclude a specific package when using pkg.instantiate in an environment shared between two machines

Hello everyone,

I have some julia code that I run either on my local machine or on a remote cluster. Inside my project directory, I have created an environment with its Project.toml y Manifest.toml. To keep the two machines up to date, this directory (and therefore the aforementioned files) is shared between them. Every time I execute code on the remote cluster, I run ]instantiate to make sure that if I happen to add a package in my local machine it is also added on the remote one.

Among the packages, there is a visualization one (Makie) that fails to precompile on the remote machine because of some missing dependencies unrelated to julia. In reality, I don’t need this package on the remote machine because visualization is done on my local one.

The question is, how can I exclude this package from being precompiled only on the remote machine using my set up? What I have in mind is something like a local settings file that tells the package manager to exclude it. Is something like that possible?

Thanks in advance for your help.