Error when trying to add Pluto to Julia (Mac)

Hey guys,
I have just downloaded Julia 1.9 on my MacBook and everytime I try to add Pluto to Julia, I get this error message:

(@v1.9) pkg> dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libLLVM.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/Julia-1.9.app/Contents/Resources/julia/libexec/julia/lld
Reason: image not found
dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libLLVM.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/Julia-1.9.app/Contents/Resources/julia/libexec/julia/lld

Someone knows how to solve this problem?
Thank You!

How did you install Julia?

Through their website: Download Julia
I downloaded the 64-bit (.dmg) version for macOS x86 (Intel or Rosetta)

1 Like

Thanks - the reason I asked is that the error looks like a borked Julia install, but that’s the right way to go about installing it. I’m not a Mac user so out of ideas but I’m sure someone will be along shortly.

1 Like

Thank you anyway!

I’m an occasional macOS user. For what it’s worth, Julia’s official juliaup installer (macOS instructions here) has always worked seamlessly for me vs dealing with the .dmg, setting up my PATH, etc.

2 Likes

You could try adding Julia to the PATH.

I installed Julia on my Macbook Pro using the juliaup installer.

1 Like

Googling this text gave this issue

1 Like

MacBook Pro, Intel chip, OS Ventura: installed via juliaup and works perfectly (including Pluto)

How did you add Pluto to Julia when you installed Julia via juliaup?

I would add it like any other package, press ] and then type “add Pluto”

1 Like

It says “command not found”

“Command not found” sounds different than the one you originally reported. Could you provide more context? More text like you provided in the original post would br helpful.

Also in the linked issue, does julia --pkgimages=no help?

I suspect the problem is related to code signing and the library load paths. Are there any special security restrictions on the computer in question? Do you have a conda environment activated?

This is the error message I receive when trying to add Pluto (installed julia via juliaup)

(@v1.9) pkg> add Pluto
Resolving package versions…
No Changes to ~/.julia/environments/v1.9/Project.toml
No Changes to ~/.julia/environments/v1.9/Manifest.toml
Precompiling project…
Progress [> ] 0/37
◓ DataValueInterfaces
◓ LazilyInitializedFields
◑ IteratorInterfaceExtensions
Progress [> ] 0/37
◑ DataValueInterfaces
◑ LazilyInitializedFields
◒ IteratorInterfaceExtensions
◒ MsgPack
◒ URIs
◑ PrecompileSignatures
◒ ExceptionUnwrapping
◒ DataValueInterfaces
◒ LazilyInitializedFields
◐ IteratorInterfaceExtensions
◐ MsgPack
◐ URIs
◒ PrecompileSignatures
◐ ExceptionUnwrapping
◑ SimpleBufferStream
◒ Tricks
◒ DataAPI
◑ CompilerSupportLibraries_jll
◐ MIMEs
◑ ConcurrentUtilities
◐ ExproniconLite
◑ OrderedCollections
◑ Configurations
◓ BitFlags
◓ FuzzyCompletions
◒ TranscodingStreams
◒ Preferences
◒ TranscodingStreams → TestExt
◑ Scratch
◒ PrecompileTools
◓ JLLWrappers
◒ LoggingExtras
◑ CodecZlib
◐ MbedTLS
◓ RelocatableFolders
◑ OpenSSL_jll
◐ Malt
◑ OpenSSL
Referenced from: /Users/xxx/.julia/juliaup/julia-1.9.4+0.x64.apple.darwin14/libexec/julia/lld
Referenced from: /Users/xxx/.julia/juliaup/julia-1.9.4+0.x64.apple.darwin14/libexec/julia/lld

(@v1.9) pkg> dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libLLVM.dylib

What is a “conda environment”?

Don’t worry about conda if you do not know.

Try the julia --pkgimages=no thing first from a terminal to see if that works. You might need to provide the full path to Julia. For example it might be

/Users/xxx/.julia/juliaup/julia-1.9.4+0.x64.apple.darwin14/bin/julia

Could you try running the following command in a terminal as well to see if that executes by itself?

/Users/xxx/.julia/juliaup/julia-1.9.4+0.x64.apple.darwin14/libexec/julia/lld

Just tried both. Still got the same error message. Even when trying the /Users/xxx/.julia/juliaup/julia-1.9.4+0.x64.apple.darwin14/bin/julia code

So running the full path with --pkgimages=no still produces an error from lld?

/Users/xxx/.julia/juliaup/julia-1.9.4+0.x64.apple.darwin14/bin/julia --pkgimages=no

I’ll need to think about that. I’m not sure why lld would be invoked with --pkgimages=no.

1 Like

It actually worked this way! But what does --pkgimages=no mean? What disadvantages do I have now / if any?

And also, when I run Pluto it redirects me to safari. How can I change it so it redirects me to Google Chrome?