Error in using DifferentialEquations

I just installed Julia and was testing out some packages. I installed DifferentialEquations but I get the following output when I try using it:

using DifferentialEquations
[ Info: Precompiling DifferentialEquations [0c46a032-eb83-5123-abaf-570d42b7fbaa]
ERROR: LoadError: LoadError: UndefVarError: eachcol not defined
Stacktrace:
[1] getproperty(::Module, ::Symbol) at ./sysimg.jl:13
[2] top-level scope at none:0
[3] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]
[4] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1044
[5] include at ./sysimg.jl:29 [inlined]
[6] include(::String) at /home/.julia/packages/DiffEqBase/97hxA/src/DiffEqBase.jl:1
[7] top-level scope at none:0
[8] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]
[9] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1044
[10] include(::Module, ::String) at ./sysimg.jl:29
[11] top-level scope at none:2
[12] eval at ./boot.jl:319 [inlined]
[13] eval(::Expr) at ./client.jl:393
[14] top-level scope at ./none:3
in expression starting at /home/.julia/packages/DiffEqBase/97hxA/src/operators/basic_operators.jl:102
in expression starting at /home/.julia/packages/DiffEqBase/97hxA/src/DiffEqBase.jl:516
ERROR: LoadError: Failed to precompile DiffEqBase [2b5f629d-d688-5b77-993f-72d75c75574e] to /home/.julia/compiled/v1.0/DiffEqBase/oaevG.ji.
Stacktrace:
[1] error(::String) at ./error.jl:33
[2] compilecache(::Base.PkgId, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1203
[3] _require(::Base.PkgId) at ./loading.jl:960
[4] require(::Base.PkgId) at ./loading.jl:858
[5] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at ./loading.jl:853
[6] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]
[7] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1044
[8] include(::Module, ::String) at ./sysimg.jl:29
[9] top-level scope at none:2
[10] eval at ./boot.jl:319 [inlined]
[11] eval(::Expr) at ./client.jl:393
[12] top-level scope at ./none:3
in expression starting at /home/.julia/packages/DifferentialEquations/9ez1L/src/DifferentialEquations.jl:5
ERROR: Failed to precompile DifferentialEquations [0c46a032-eb83-5123-abaf-570d42b7fbaa] to /home/.julia/compiled/v1.0/DifferentialEquations/UQdwS.ji.
Stacktrace:
[1] error(::String) at ./error.jl:33
[2] compilecache(::Base.PkgId, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1203
[3] _require(::Base.PkgId) at ./loading.jl:960
[4] require(::Base.PkgId) at ./loading.jl:858
[5] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at ./loading.jl:853

I tried reinstalling various dependancies but none of it worked. I’m using Ubuntu 18.04.4.

1 Like

What is your Julia version and DataFrames version? Seems like you are using a DataFrames version that requires Julia 1.1 or above… (although the package manager shouldve caught this). Can you run versioninfo() and ] st in the REPL?

Julia Version 1.0.4 and the ] st returns:

Status ~/.julia/environments/v1.0/Project.toml
[a93c6f00] DataFrames v0.20.2
[0c46a032] DifferentialEquations v6.10.1
[61744808] DynamicalSystems v1.4.0
[7073ff75] IJulia v1.21.1
[1dea7af3] OrdinaryDiffEq v5.29.0
[65888b18] ParameterizedFunctions v4.2.1
[91a5bcdd] Plots v0.29.7

As a built-in package, shouldn’t DataFrames be compatible by default?

It’s due to using v1.0 and last night’s release. I’ll put out a bugfix version (and then make the versions on 1.0 fixed…)

4 Likes

Thanks for such a fast reply, I seem to have a similar issue, though it’s little harder to check, since we only need differential equations during testing. The error message however refers to the same line. Do you have an idea, how this can be solved? The log of our test is

https://travis-ci.org/github/JuliaNLSolvers/Manifolds.jl/jobs/663616477?utm_medium=notification&utm_source=github_status

Is I can help with any further information, let me know.

DiffEqBase.jl v6.23 add Compat for eachcol, but it seems something happened there. So I’m going to figure out what’s up with Compat and handle that…

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s resolved, its now loading 6.20 and that works fine with Julia 1.0

1 Like

Perfect. Good to hear. I am sad Compat isn’t working here, but anyways, we need to drop 1.0 support from the latest releases because there’s starting to be a lot of stuff that v1.0 cannot do. Our v1.0 release should just be a good stable release that doesn’t change.

Same issue when installing only DifferentialEquations.
Solved by installing DataFrames before.