ERROR: GitError(Code:ERROR, Class:OS, failed to send request: A connection with the server could not be established )

I’m trying to install Pkg.add(“DataFrames”) but I get the following message. Any idea what could be the problem?

INFO: Cloning METADATA from https://github.com/JuliaLang/METADATA.jl
ERROR: GitError(Code:ERROR, Class:OS, failed to send request: A connection with the server could not be established
)
Stacktrace:
[1] macro expansion at .\libgit2\error.jl:99 [inlined]
[2] clone(::String, ::String, ::Base.LibGit2.CloneOptions) at .\libgit2\repository.jl:276
[3] #clone#100(::String, ::Bool, ::Ptr{Void}, ::Nullable{Base.LibGit2.AbstractCredentials}, ::Function, ::String, ::String) at .\libgit2\libgit2.jl:562
[4] (::Base.LibGit2.#kw##clone)(::Array{Any,1}, ::Base.LibGit2.#clone, ::String, ::String) at .<missing>:0
[5] (::Base.Pkg.Dir.##8#10{String,String})() at .\pkg\dir.jl:55
[6] cd(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##8#10{String,String}, ::String) at .\file.jl:59
[7] init(::String, ::String) at .\pkg\dir.jl:53
[8] #cd#1(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::Function, ::String, ::Vararg{String,N} where N) at .\pkg\dir.jl:28
[9] add(::String) at .\pkg\pkg.jl:117

1 Like

Looks like a network glitch. Check that github.com is reachable, eg with ping, then try again.

The error message seems different from what the “easy fix” fixes.

I think you are correct. I deleted my post.

Thank you for your response. I tried ping and it seems that I have connection with gitbub.com
I tried again Pkg.add(“DataFrames”) and I got the same error message.

Follow the manual fix in this post, not the “easy fix”

solution

I’m reviving this post.
I’m on windows 8 and the proposed solutions do not work for me.

In the list given at https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb3140245 , none of the updates seem to apply to windows 8. I updated to .Net 4.5, but to no avail.
I would really appreciate some help.
Many thanks in advance
Olivier

I would try either this:

Update für Windows Embedded 8 Standard für x64-Systeme (KB3140245)

or this:

Update für Windows Embedded 8 Standard (KB3140245)

depending on your system (32/64 Bit Version).
The quick fix didn’t work for my systems, hence the workaround for a manual patch. I don’t know what the patches do in particular, but the registry hacks in the kb-article didn’t succeed either:

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately KB3140245 does not work.

I don’t see any other options.
I will contact my system administrator.