Did Julia community do something to improve its correctness?

There’s not been a formal address from the project (it’s not really clear what such an address would look like), but many prominent contributors have indeed weighed in on the many discussions around these — in addition to the Reddit and prior discourse threads, see also the Hacker News discussion from when the post was first published.

I see the hardest issues in Yuri’s post being symptomatic of — as Stefan writes in the HN thread — “the flip side of Julia’s composability is that composing generic code with types that implement abstractions can easily expose bugs when the caller and the callee don’t agree on exactly what the abstraction is.” And that’s where things get interesting. There’s some really cool work to formalize what those abstractions are (e.g., [ANN] RequiredInterfaces.jl). But as I myself previously said,

Yuri really pushed on the ecosystem — and indeed most of the issues he listed are about the composability of packages. As someone who sporadically interfaced with him on-and-off in issues like these, I earnestly thought he enjoyed living on the cutting edge and slaying these dragons. That’s really the biggest loss in my view: that he burned out doing so and we lost his voice and work from the community.

So: Are there still dragons out there? Most definitely — especially if you find yourself bushwhacking through the weeds of packages nobody has tried together before. But it’s continuing to be easier and easier to stay on golden brick roads as Julia and its package ecosystem continue to develop and thrive.

33 Likes