DEPOT_PATH undefined despite JULIA_DEPOT_PATH being defined in the Environment

If ENV["HOME"] doesn’t look sane or the write command gives an error, you need to do something about it.

Please see above

Well, this doesn’t make any sense at all. As far as I know ASCIIString disappeared at some point around Julia 0.4 or so. What output does versioninfo() give?

1 Like

You are right. It seems I have started the wrong version of julia.

Julia Version 0.4.5
Commit 2ac304d (2016-03-18 00:58 UTC)
Platform Info:
System: Linux (x86_64-linux-gnu)
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz
WORD_SIZE: 64
BLAS: libopenblas (NO_LAPACKE DYNAMIC_ARCH NO_AFFINITY Haswell)
LAPACK: libopenblas
LIBM: libopenlibm
LLVM: libLLVM-3.8
nothing

******* UPDATE I gave explicit paths for the right version and Pkg loaded !!!

Thanks all for your help!!! Getting julia to work as a www-data user is no picnic!!!
One little (non-fatal) glitch: versioninfo does not seem to get loaded (a known issue, I think)

ANYWAY - YOU MAY MARK THESE ISSUES AS ‘RESOLVED’ Thanks All!

Hah! Thats what I suspected/suggested in my first post from 4 days ago:

I’m sorry not to have checked that earlier, but we had a situation where for one user typing julia meant getting 1.2 and for another user on the same machine typing the same thing resulted in 0.4something.

But anyway, thank you.

There probably are not many people trying to use julia as ‘www-data’ users, but some of this may be of interest to them.

I suspect this came from a missed PATH setting, which is not very specific to www-data in general.

Hi Tamas,

I had suspected that earlier and tried setting the path, but it turned out to be more than that,
partly because www-data has no ‘home directory’ set, and I suspect certain initialisation scripts
didn’t get run when the shell opened, etc., plus there were permission issues which had to be fixed
(with the help of an unusually sympathetic - though very busy - system administrator).

Anyway, with the help of everyone (especially yourself, Friedrik, Stefan, and Gunnar) I eventually
got it working! Thanks again guys!