Could not load symbol "jl_system_image_data", fail to precompile

Precompilation of a project on a shared server breaks, due to the following error:

 Error: Error during loading of extension IntervalSetsRandomExt of IntervalSets, use `Base.retry_load_extensions()` to retry.
│   exception =
│    1-element ExceptionStack:
│    could not load symbol "jl_system_image_data":
│    /eos/home-s/sfranche/.julia/compiled/v1.10/IntervalSetsRandomExt/ undefined symbol: jl_system_image_data
│    Stacktrace:

The same error occurs for few other extensions:

BangBangTablesExt of BangBang
BangBangStructArraysExt of BangBang
IntervalSetsRandomExt of IntervalSets
FillArraysPDMatsExt of FillArrays
FillArraysSparseArraysExt of FillArrays

I’ve tried several times, also re-installing julia fresh, but can’t make it work. While on other servers and on my local laptop things do work. :person_shrugging:

Has anyone some clue on where is this coming from?

Thanks for any help!

What is the output of:


What is the output of:

using Pkg

And how did you install Julia?

1 Like

I’m installing via juliaup.

Here’s the output of versioninfo():

julia> versioninfo()
Julia Version 1.10.3
Commit 0b4590a5507 (2024-04-30 10:59 UTC)
Build Info:
  Official release
Platform Info:
  OS: Linux (x86_64-linux-gnu)
  CPU: 10 × Intel Xeon Processor (Cascadelake)
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-15.0.7 (ORCJIT, cascadelake)
Threads: 1 default, 0 interactive, 1 GC (on 10 virtual cores)
  JULIA_DEPOT_PATH = /eos/home-s/sfranche/.julia/

and here is the Pkg.status():

julia> Pkg.status()
Project BjetTLA v1.0.0-DEV
Status `/eos/home-s/sfranche/TLA/tla-software/BjetTLA.jl/Project.toml`
  [13f3f980] CairoMakie v0.12.2
  [35d6a980] ColorSchemes v3.25.0
  [864edb3b] DataStructures v0.18.20
  [68837c9b] FHist v0.11.4
  [c27321d9] Glob v1.3.1
  [682c06a0] JSON v0.21.4
  [f612022c] LorentzVectorHEP v0.1.6
  [eff96d63] Measurements v2.11.0
  [67456a42] OhMyThreads v0.5.2
  [295af30f] Revise v3.5.14
  [09ab397b] StructArrays v0.6.18
  [3cd96dde] UnROOT v0.10.30
1 Like

I found that the problem goes away on 1.11-beta2, or older version actually, for example 1.10.0 was also fine.

You can try juliaup add 1.11 and then start Julia with julia +1.11 --project see if that fixes issue, it fixed for me on the EOS