Copyto! issue when updating fields of struct

Hello! This is somewhat of a followup question from before. I have some structs using StaticArrays for performance reasons, which has been working great until now. It seems that as long as I am broadcasting ( ‘.=’ ) an array to the field, everything seems fine. But when I want to change the value of ‘s’ (a Float64), I run into an error, which I’ve listed below the example code.

using StaticArrays

struct Particle
    pos::MVector{3,Float64}
    s::Float64
end

P        = Particle(MVector(0., 0., 0.), 1.)
P.pos .= [1.,1.,1.]     # runs (even with Array not S.A.)
P.s   .= 2.                 #  copyto! syntax error
julia> include("structTest.jl")
ERROR: LoadError: MethodError: no method matching copyto!(::Float64, ::Base.Broadcast.Broadcasted{Base.Broadcast.DefaultArrayStyle{0}, Tuple{}, typeof(identity), Tuple{Float64}})
Closest candidates are:
  copyto!(::Any, ::Base.Broadcast.Broadcasted{<:StaticArrays.StaticArrayStyle}) at ~/.julia/packages/StaticArrays/G7IlJ/src/broadcast.jl:68
  copyto!(::AbstractArray, ::Base.Broadcast.Broadcasted{<:Base.Broadcast.AbstractArrayStyle{0}}) at /Applications/Julia-1.7.app/Contents/Resources/julia/share/julia/base/broadcast.jl:916
  copyto!(::AbstractArray, ::Base.Broadcast.Broadcasted) at /Applications/Julia-1.7.app/Contents/Resources/julia/share/julia/base/broadcast.jl:913
Stacktrace:
 [1] materialize!
   @ ./broadcast.jl:871 [inlined]
 [2] materialize!(dest::Float64, bc::Base.Broadcast.Broadcasted{Base.Broadcast.DefaultArrayStyle{0}, Nothing, typeof(identity), Tuple{Float64}})
   @ Base.Broadcast ./broadcast.jl:868
 [3] top-level scope
   @ ~/filepath/structTest.jl:10
 [4] include(fname::String)
   @ Base.MainInclude ./client.jl:451
 [5] top-level scope
   @ none:1
in expression starting at 
/filepath/structTest.jl:10

Is anyone able to provide some insight into this behavior? I would like to not only fix this issue but to understand why.
Thank you!

Your struct is not mutable, hence you can’t reassign the s field. Broadcasting is only for collections/containers, which a Float64 is not.

You can broadcast into the MVector field because it’s a mutable object.

What would you suggest as the most performant way to proceed? I am thinking of either redefining the struct as mutable, or storing each field in a static array. The first should be easier to implement, but I am worried about performance “gotchas”.

A mutable struct with a SVector field is a fine choice.

2 Likes

I just played around two different solutions, shown below with benchmarks for future reference.

module S

N=30_000_000

using StaticArrays, Random

mutable struct MParticle
    pos::SVector{3,Float64}
    s::Float64
end

struct SParticle
    pos::MVector{3,Float64}
    s::MVector{1,Float64}
end

PM     = MParticle(SVector(0., 0., 0.), 1.)
PS     = SParticle(MVector(0., 0., 0.), MVector(1.))

# Benchmark
@time for i in 1:N
    PM.pos = SVector(rand(),rand(),rand())
    PM.s   = rand()
end

PS.pos .= MVector(rand(),rand(),rand())
    PS.s   .= MVector(rand())
end

# module end
end
  4.830332 seconds (270.00 M allocations: 5.812 GiB, 11.33% gc time, 0.17% compilation time)
  4.781887 seconds (270.00 M allocations: 5.812 GiB, 11.59% gc time, 0.04% compilation time)
Main.S

I am surprised that both methods seem equally performant for sufficiently large N, although I noticed SParticle had consistently lower % compilation time.

The first structure definition seems cleaner, so I think I will moved forward in implementing the mutable struct with immutable fields.

Don’t benchmark in global scope. Put the thing you want to benchmark in a function and @benchmark that function (from BenchmarkTools.jl). Don’t use global variables during benchmarking (or for otherwise performance critical objects).

3 Likes

MParticle’s advantage is that it will require 1 allocation to construct, and is 1 contiguous block of memory, while SParticle requires 2 allocations to construct, and has 2 separate addresses.

Neither of these differences will be tested in a micro benchmark updating the same object in place.

1 Like
function update1(PM, N)
        PM.pos = SVector(rand(),rand(),rand())
        PM.s   = rand()
    end
end

function update2(PS, N)
        PS.pos .= MVector(rand(),rand(),rand())
        PS.s   .= MVector(rand())
    end
end

update1(PM, N)
update2(PS, N)
WARNING: replacing module S.
  0.916128 seconds
  0.904219 seconds
Main.S

Excellent point. Thank you!

Do you have further reading on this that you can recommend? I am interested for the sake of curiosity, and this behavior is also important to the performance of my simulation at large.