Convert floating point to integer type?

Currently, the float function allows one to go from an Integer type to a floating-point type.

julia> float(BigInt)
BigFloat

Is there a function to go the other way, that is given BigFloat as an argument, it returns BigInt, and similarly for other types?

there is Base.inttype, but it seems internal and only has definitions for Float16/32/64

What properties do you expect from such a mapping? When you go from integers to floats, the expectation is that the float type will have a wider range than the integer, so conversion is possible (at the price of losing precision).

Going in the other direction, this is impractical because floats have such a wide range.

I was mainly thinking of a map from integers to floats (in the context of axes of arrays), so that given a specific BigFloat range, I may choose the axis to be a BigInt range. I wasn’t thinking of conversion.

For going from float to integer I normally use round(T, x):

julia> round(Int64, 3.14159)

It throws an error if the Float64 value is out of range for an Int64:

julia> round(Int64, 9e23)
ERROR: InexactError: trunc(Int64, 9.0e23)
Stacktrace:
 [1] trunc
   @ Base ./float.jl:902 [inlined]
 [2] round(::Type{Int64}, x::Float64)
   @ Base ./float.jl:385
 [3] top-level scope
   @ REPL[24]:1

It also works with BigFloat/BigInt:

julia> x=round(BigInt, BigFloat(1.33))

julia> typeof(x)
BigInt

I have not tested whether an error is thrown if the BigFloat value is out of range for BigInt, but probably yes.

I think your best option is define your own function for this, as the API in Base is mainly for conversion / promotion and their fallbacks.

Use the abstract type Integer:

julia> Integer(3.0)

julia> Integer(3.0) |> typeof
Int64

julia> Integer(big"3.0")

julia> Integer(big"3.0") |> typeof
BigInt

Of course, this only works if the floating-point type is integer-valued. If you want an approximate conversion, then you need to specify an approximation explicitly, e.g. via round:

julia> round(Integer, 3.1) |> typeof
Int64

julia> round(Integer, big"3.1") |> typeof
BigInt
3 Likes