with the unsatisfying result:

Updating registry at `~/.julia/registries/General`
  Updating git-repo `https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General.git`
 Resolving package versions...
 Installed Arpack_jll ─ v3.5.0+2
┌ Error: Tree Hash Mismatch!
│   Expected git-tree-sha1:   fb4dd08b8749e56059d80d8c1787a70f5765dddd
│   Calculated git-tree-sha1: acc34f180dca39625eabb5878e76aa1a4de8d94a
└ @ Pkg.Artifacts ~/tmp/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/Artifacts.jl:724
ERROR: Unable to automatically install 'Arpack' from '[...]/.julia/packages/Arpack_jll/HCY9Y/Artifacts.toml'
Stacktrace:
 [1] error(::String) at ./error.jl:33
 [2] #ensure_artifact_installed#42(::Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Linux, ::Bool, ::typeof(Pkg.Artifacts.ensure_artifact_installed), ::String, ::Dict{String,Any}, ::String) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/Artifacts.jl:810
 [3] (::Pkg.Artifacts.var"#kw##ensure_artifact_installed")(::NamedTuple{(:platform, :verbose),Tuple{Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Linux,Bool}}, ::typeof(Pkg.Artifacts.ensure_artifact_installed), ::String, ::Dict{String,Any}, ::String) at ./none:0 [4] #ensure_all_artifacts_installed#43(::Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Linux, ::Nothing, ::Bool, ::Bool, ::typeof(Pkg.Artifacts.ensure_all_artifacts_installed), ::String) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/Artifacts.jl:852
 [5] #ensure_all_artifacts_installed at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/Operations.jl:0 [inlined]
 [6] #download_artifacts#78(::Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Linux, ::Bool, ::typeof(Pkg.Operations.download_artifacts), ::Array{String,1}) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/Operations.jl:580
 [7] #download_artifacts at ./none:0 [inlined]
 [8] #download_artifacts#73(::Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.Linux, ::Bool, ::typeof(Pkg.Operations.download_artifacts), ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/Operations.jl:570
 [9] download_artifacts(::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/Operations.jl:569
 [10] up(::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}, ::Pkg.Types.UpgradeLevel) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/Operations.jl:1103
 [11] #up#43(::Pkg.Types.UpgradeLevel, ::Pkg.Types.PackageMode, ::Bool, ::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{},Union{},Tuple{},NamedTuple{(),Tuple{}}}, ::typeof(Pkg.API.up), ::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/API.jl:170
 [12] up at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/API.jl:146 [inlined]
 [13] do_up!(::Dict{Symbol,Any}, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}, ::Dict{Symbol,Any}) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/REPLMode.jl:492
 [14] #invokelatest#1(::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{},Union{},Tuple{},NamedTuple{(),Tuple{}}}, ::typeof(Base.invokelatest), ::Any, ::Any, ::Vararg{Any,N} where N) at ./essentials.jl:709
 [15] invokelatest(::Any, ::Any, ::Vararg{Any,N} where N) at ./essentials.jl:708
 [16] do_cmd!(::Pkg.REPLMode.Command, ::REPL.LineEditREPL) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/REPLMode.jl:412
 [17] #do_cmd#23(::Bool, ::typeof(Pkg.REPLMode.do_cmd), ::REPL.LineEditREPL, ::String) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/REPLMode.jl:391
 [18] do_cmd at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/REPLMode.jl:387 [inlined]
 [19] (::Pkg.REPLMode.var"#28#31"{REPL.LineEditREPL,REPL.LineEdit.Prompt})(::REPL.LineEdit.MIState, ::Base.GenericIOBuffer{Array{UInt8,1}}, ::Bool) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/Pkg/src/REPLMode.jl:619
 [20] #invokelatest#1 at ./essentials.jl:709 [inlined]
 [21] invokelatest at ./essentials.jl:708 [inlined]
 [22] run_interface(::REPL.Terminals.TextTerminal, ::REPL.LineEdit.ModalInterface, ::REPL.LineEdit.MIState) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/REPL/src/LineEdit.jl:2306
 [23] run_frontend(::REPL.LineEditREPL, ::REPL.REPLBackendRef) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/REPL/src/REPL.jl:1045
 [24] run_repl(::REPL.AbstractREPL, ::Any) at [...]/julia/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.3/REPL/src/REPL.jl:201
 [25] (::Base.var"#770#772"{Bool,Bool,Bool,Bool})(::Module) at ./client.jl:382
 [26] #invokelatest#1 at ./essentials.jl:709 [inlined]
 [27] invokelatest at ./essentials.jl:708 [inlined]
 [28] run_main_repl(::Bool, ::Bool, ::Bool, ::Bool, ::Bool) at ./client.jl:366
 [29] exec_options(::Base.JLOptions) at ./client.jl:304
 [30] _start() at ./client.jl:460

I tried removing Arpack_jll, Arpack from the packages directory to get a clean rebuild, but that didn’t help.

How do I remedy this issue?

Update 1:

More checking reveals that renaming the artifacts directory overrides the error, but the same thing happens with the next package (in this case OpenBLAS). So I suspect an error in producing the tree hash. Which variable can I set to check the download and hashing procedure?

I’ve downloaded the package that Artifacts.jl is supposed to download and my own hash coincides with the correct one.

What’s your umask?

Maybe similar to this issue?

I solved it on my machine by reset the umask.

Just to make it clear: the fact that restrictive umasks cause problems is unfortunate and it’ll hopefully be fixed in Julia 1.3.1, but we need to know whether the problems @crinders is facing is due to the umask or something else.

1 Like

I’m not actually sure and I can’t check right now. Previously though, it wasn’t a problem, i.e. with 1.3.0-rc5 or with 1.2. Is it only an issue with the new Artifacts facility?

Arpack.jl started using Artifacts 14 hours ago: https://github.com/JuliaLinearAlgebra/Arpack.jl/pull/81

umask is 0037. I don’t see how that should screw up anything since manual extraction with wget using the same umask generates the correct hash.

Because there was a bug in 1.3.0 that used the group executable bit when computing the git hash instead of the user executable bit. Git itself doesn’t have this bug. It will be fixed in 1.3.1 which should be released soon. Did you get the correct hash when extracting with wget and calling Pkg.GitTools.tree_hash to compute the hash? That’s the function that had the bug.

2 Likes

Pkg.GitTools.tree_hash gives the wrong hash.