Does this work?

myfun = let
       const x = rand(2,2)
       function myfun()
       x
       end
       end
myfun()

How would you pass arguments with this syntax?

julia> myfun = let
       const x = rand(2,2)
       function myfun(y)
       x+y
       end
       end
myfun (generic function with 2 methods)

julia> myfun(5)
2×2 Array{Float64,2}:
 5.09896  5.08873
 5.34033  5.04235

Yep, that is very nice. It seems to have exactly the behavior I want. The code looks a bit ugly, but it gets the job done. If one could accomplish this with a macro that would be nice. I have a very limited understanding of macros, so it is not 100% clear to me if the macros suggested above accomplish this.

Aside, I don’t think the const is needed as x is in a local scope and not global.

This is probably nicer, I’m not sure if the const is neccesary here.

julia> module HidingModule
       export myfun
       const x = rand(2,2)
       myfun(y) = x+y
       end
HidingModule

julia> using HidingModule

julia> myfun(6)
2×2 Array{Float64,2}:
 6.74679  6.51266
 6.33858  6.27355

Yes, global is needed then as x is in the global scope of the HidingModule. I’d say the most idiomatic is

let
    x = rand(2,2)
    global function myfun(y)
       x+y
    end
end
4 Likes

There is another issue tracking this.
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/15056

The thing I don’t like about this is that it messes with the natural identation of the code. Functions are supposed to be without identation, but the let block forces you to indent (otherwise you could look at the x = rand(2,2) and not realize what it is doing out there). The only downside is readability.

Nope. Functions should be indented like everything else at the same level, eg for a closure

function add_this(x)
    function(y)
        x+y
    end
end

The indentations above are correct: they are inside a let block, and everything else at the same level would be indented by the same amount.

I meant global functions. In your example, the closure is not callable from the outside.

Most languages that support closures like @mauro3’s example indent like this, eg

(let ((x (random 100)))
  (defun myfun (y)
    (+ x y)))

The issue is not whether the function is in the global namespace, but that let starts a block.

1 Like