ComponentArrays.jl with NLopt.jl

These two packages seem to be incompatible. Without fully understanding the internals of NLopt.jl it seems that the vector of optimization variables ends up getting cast as an Array{Float64,1}. This basic snippet works:

using NLopt
function rosenbrock(x)
    (1 - x[1])^2 + 100*(x[2] - x[1]^2)^2
end

function rosenbrock(x, grad)
    if length(grad) > 0
        grad[1] = -400 * x[1] * (x[2] - x[1]^2) - 2 * (1 - x[1])
        grad[2] = 200 * (x[2] - x[1]^2)
    end
    rosenbrock(x)
end

opt = NLopt.Opt(:LD_SLSQP, 2);
opt.lower_bounds = [0., -0.5];
opt.upper_bounds = [1., 2.];
opt.min_objective = rosenbrock;

guess = [0.5, 0.];
(minf,minx,ret) = NLopt.optimize(opt, guess);
println("evals = $(opt.numevals)");
println("got $minf at $minx with constraints (returned $ret)");

But when I specify the rosenbrock function to work on ComponentArrays, it does not work (I get :FORCED_STOP):

using ComponentArrays
function rosenbrock(x)
    (1 - x.arg1)^2 + 100*(x.arg2 - x.arg1^2)^2
end
guess = ComponentArray(arg1=.5, arg2=0.)

Even when I pass this ComponentArray in as the initial vector, the NLopt.optimize function always returns Array{Float64,1}.

It would be great if it were possible to utilize ComponentArrays.jl within NLopt.jl. I’m solving optimization problems with 10’s or 100’s of optimization variables. Each specific problem I work on thus requires slicing the x vector with carefully constructed ranges in order to make sense of anything. With ComponentArrays.jl, I can store everything in a ComponentArray which appears as a flat array but can also be accessed via problem-specific field names.

You can write a function that changes the vector to a component vector and call this function first thing in your objective before proceeding with the rest of your objective definition.

4 Likes

I believe NLopt is a C/C++ library, hence they have no idea about fancy array types and only work with Array{Float64} and perhaps Float32. If you call C-code, you will probably have to do the conversion yourself like Mohamed suggests.

2 Likes

Doing it the way Mohamed suggests is a good way to go. The getaxes function from ComponentArrays will help here. This is what I usually do in situations like that:

guess = ComponentArray(arg1=.5, arg2=0.)
ax = getaxes(guess)

rosenbrock(x) = rosenbrock(ComponentArray(x, ax))
rosenbrock(x::ComponentArray) = (1 - x.arg1)^2 + 100*(x.arg2 - x.arg1^2)^2

Another option is to use a native Julia solver from Optim.jl, which will let ComponentArrays pass through just fine. I like using GalacticOptim.jl for a standard interface to all solvers, so here’s how I’d do it in GalacticOptim with an Optim solver:

using ComponentArrays, GalacticOptim

function rosenbrock(x, p)
    (p.a - x.arg1)^2 + p.b*(x.arg2 - x.arg1^2)^2
end

guess = ComponentArray(arg1=0.5, arg2=0)
lb = ComponentArray(arg1=0, arg2=-0.5)
ub = ComponentArray(arg1=1.0, arg2=2)

params = (a=1, b=100)

opt_fun = OptimizationFunction(rosenbrock, GalacticOptim.AutoForwardDiff())
prob = OptimizationProblem(opt_fun, guess, params; lb=lb, ub=ub)

sol = solve(prob, Fminbox(BFGS()))
3 Likes