Can't instantiate project with two unregistered packages

I’m not sure what I’m missing but I’m having problems setting up a Julia project, as follows:

Now I want to continue developing the project on my Windows machine so I downloaded the project and I want to instantiate it, as follows:

• I have developed the 2 packages in @v1.4:
(@v1.4) pkg> st
Status `C:\Users\adria\.julia\environments\v1.4\Project.toml`
  [c43c736e] Genie v0.29.0 [`C:\Users\adria\.julia\dev\Genie`]
  [c6228e60] GenieAutoReload v0.1.0 [`C:\Users\adria\.julia\dev\GenieAutoReload`]
  [340e8cb6] SearchLight v0.19.0 [`C:\Users\adria\.julia\dev\SearchLight`]
  [c3245d6e] Stipple v0.1.0 [`C:\Users\adria\.julia\dev\Stipple`]
  • then into the project I tried:
(TitanicDash) pkg> instantiate
   Updating registry at `C:\Users\adria\.julia\registries\General`
   Updating git-repo `https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General.git`
ERROR: expected package `Stipple [c3245d6e]` to be registered

(TitanicDash) pkg> dev Stipple
Path `C:\Users\adria\.julia\dev\Stipple` exists and looks like the correct package. Using existing path.
  Resolving package versions...
ERROR: expected package `GenieAutoReload [c6228e60]` to be registered

(TitanicDash) pkg> dev GenieAutoReload
Path `C:\Users\adria\.julia\dev\GenieAutoReload` exists and looks like the correct package. Using existing path.
  Resolving package versions...
ERROR: expected package `Stipple [c3245d6e]` to be registered

No idea what the problem is and what to do next, other than register the packages?

4 Likes

In the end I removed one of the packages from the project and was able to instantiate it. Then I added the package back and all worked fine.

Can it be a bug in Pkg: when two packages are unregistered, it get confused @kristoffer.carlsson ?

1 Like

Try

pkg> dev ../Stipple
pkg> dev ../GenieAutoReload

? Without a path (absolute or relative), it will look in the registry and won’t find it.

Thanks @anon67531922 - I did develop them successfully in @v1.4 by passing the full GitHub URL. The issue arises when running pkg> instantiate within the project (TitanicDash). Pkg knows how to resolve one unregistered package, but not two, so it looks like a bug (or an undocumented limitation).

2 Likes

I see. You want to dev them from GitHub. You can also achieve an approximation of what you want, if I understand, by deving them from a local directory. This is what I do for my private repos. It works well for containerization as well.

1 Like

With apologies for resurrecting an old thread, I am having what looks like a similar problem. Two unregistered, locally dev-ed packages. One depends on the other, and Pkg demands that it is registered.

@essenciary could you give a litte more detail on what you did to resolve? I tried removing one, then both packages and adding them back, but the problem recurs.

For me it worked as described. For example I had a dependency chain like this:
Genie (registered) > Stipple (unregistered) > StippleUI (unregistered).

I removed the unregistered packages, dev-ed Stipple and then dev-ed StippleUI.

Maybe also check your manifest file or delete it altogether and add/dev all packages from scratch.

1 Like

Thank you.

I tried various permuations, and after some experimentation, cleaning out the lot and reinstalling with much use of “up” and “resolve” seems to have done the trick.

I have found a private registry to be a reliable solution for such issues. It gives all of the benefits of registering the packages in general registry.

4 Likes