Blog post about my experiences with Julia

That is a fair point (in general). I’m providing some examples below. As I already explained my background and approach, all I’m asking in return is to please not engage in further discussions on how the particular problem can be solved (already been answered in the linked threads). I’m merely trying to illustrate why I felt the way I felt learning Julia and why I recognized much of the experience OP described as my own too. If you find the examples I provide here useful to understand the thinking of a newbie that is really great. But if not, let me go out on a limb here and say that I do understand that there is a particular solution and/or explanation for each particular problem, and I really do not with to go there right now. I’m describing a bigger picture here, not a particular issue. Thanks.

That being said, this thread is a good example of how a newbie can get stuck with Julia, even with a simplest problem and after reading the docs and trying to implement what was read. What’s not explained in that thread is how I went back and forth through the docs, and even tried to throw some obvious things against the wall as I would do in other languages to see if anything would stick. Ultimately, with Julia you just have to ask here. Another thread is a good illustration of how disconnected and cryptic the docs appear to be to a newbie (again - appear to a newbie, not as an an actual fact). Chances of making the progress without asking the question here is virtually zero. People are polite, on point, and very helpful, but man you just have to ask, no way out on your own.

We both mentioned python and MATLAB. Forgive me for not providing actual examples but describing a couple of things I did the other day. In python I dot-chained half a dozen functions in a truly disgusting fashion while semi-arbitrarily placing parenthesis and square brackets with arguments that were incremented in a loop. The key point here, and the main reason I do not provide the actual code, is that I did it highly intuitively, half-based on the docs I read, and half-based on my own non-programmer intuition. And guess what - the hodge-podge code worked. In MATLAB I similarly put together a horrible Frankenstein’s monster of a function that allowed me to dynamically change the variable name in a loop based on a string array, which in return allowed me to print 1000s of plots automatically. The key point again is that I did this by first reading a couple of help pages and a MathWorks thread strongly advising against dynamically changing the variable names. I took what I read and tried to put together something of my own and guess what - it worked. My experience in Julia is exactly the opposite, for whichever reason, even after reading the docs carefully I am unable to put together even the simplest and the most straightforward functions. That is just my own opinion, not a absolutist statement.

I’ll just stop here because this is one of those things where by now it is quite clear what I’m trying to describe or no amount of additional examples will be sufficient. I hope everyone can acknowledge that I am not a programmer, but merely a person who tries to utilize a tool to automate something.

2 Likes