Blockchain

Bumping this… very interested to collaborate with others on either a EVM wrapper or state-of-the-art Julia from the ground up blockchain.

Interested as well.

Here’s another good opportunity to showcase Julia in this space: https://github.com/cosmos/cosmos-sdk

Note: For now the Cosmos-SDK only exists in Golang, which means that developers can only develop SDK modules in Golang. In the future, we expect that the SDK will be implemented in other programming languages. Funding opportunities supported by the Tendermint team may be available eventually.

2 Likes

:sunny: (please keep me informed) :sun_with_face:

Seems as though it would be possible to hook up the Julia LLVM backend to Ethereum flavored WebAssembly (eWASM)? It is being considered as a replacement to EVM1 (according to the FAQ): https://github.com/ewasm/design

1 Like

Related discussion in a new thread:

I’ve been working on a Julia Web3 package for a little while. It’s still in early stages; I’m working on an account manager example to drive development (it’s like a simple contacts list editor).

The idea is to hook Julia up to existing EVMs, not to write an EVM in Julia. Like if you need to use Ethereum smart contracts in a Julia program.

3 Likes

Seems not much has changed in the last couple of years. I was doing a landscape analysis (to setup for https://github.com/Julia-Blockchain) on the available tools and it seems like the ones mentioned here are still the only options (and development seems to have slowed on most, not passing judgment, just my quick analysis).

Are there any other packages folks have seen or used in the same vein?

3 Likes

Yep, I’m also looking for the same, please mention here if somebody has already started/is midway into building a component for blockchain.

2 Likes

Is “Julia-Foo” a new naming convention for Julia GitHub orgs? A lot of the existing ones seem to be “JuliaFoo”.

In my case, JuliaBlockchain was already taken.

3 Likes

I’m also considering Blockchain development in Julia.

Maybe a first aproach could be to implement the elements needed for Dapps (decentralized applications) development in Ethereum / Solidity (as there is a lot of benchmarks and tutorials for this protocol).

This needs 3 main components:

• A wrapper for the solidity compiler;
  • A web3 for interacting with the Ethereum network (there is a beginning thanks to @zot);
  • A ganache equivalent as a provider for web3.

Regarding the application component, we have all we need thanks to @essenciary with the Genie Framework.

I’m starting considering first a py-solc-x equivalent in Julia.

3 Likes

@tlorans @logankilpatrick @hgeorgako I have been bugging the Cosmos SDK team for some support to implement the SDK in Julia as well as Go (which it is currently implemented in). I would happily help gather a team and lead the way to do that. You can build on top of Tendermint Core with any language so the consensus and networking layers would be handled there.

I believe the future of Defi and finance in general is Julia. I am currently building a team that is building a Cosmos SDK chain that plans on eventually supporting Julia based smart contracts but for specific purposes.

Not sure how much support there is currently for this though. I feel like using Julia would help influx further traditional finance folks into Defi.

3 Likes

Julia support would be good

1 Like

This would be great, I think that maybe building a DSL on top of julia directly targeting the EVM opcodes
(or Yul-IR) could be a better alternative than a wrapper for solidity, as we’re not constrained to solidity expressiveness.

Also, there is now TrueBit on Ethereum which allows to run WASM instructions, and some L2s like Optimism also allows WASM execution. It seems the a lot of finance derivatives projects are targeting L2s, so it would be great to see compatibilities with the eth ecosystem.
Edit: there is also EVM-LLVM

I have nothing to do with blockchain and do not have interests therein. I only stumbled across that title when scrolling the topics. But I remembered an article about blockchain, which mentioned viewpoints dealing with some “be careful” arguments not in general but for some very special reasons.
Unfortunately that article is in german, but you may look at the machine based translation to english of it. Of course that machine translation isn’t perfect, but you can get the idea behind it. More or less it states “A poisoned promise”.

The article is far more against the Web 3.0 (or what the author believes to be the Web 3.0) than against blockchains. The idea of blockchain is neat, maybe even genius, but as many technologies, immediately everyone started trying using it for absolutely everything even if it does not make any sense whatsoever.

I have read a similar article in English recently, that is a little more technical, and is also critical of the Web 3.0 idea. I do recommend its read, it can be found in: Moxie Marlinspike >> Blog >> My first impressions of web3

1 Like

Thank you for your viewpoint, a lot of arguments of the moxie post are true, but are about specific applications and not the overall technology. I think that the fact that everything in blockchain is not perfect is not a sufficient reason to prevent people from developing on it.
Also, blockchain and web3 are not the same thing, when web3 is not something that exists and is more of a marketing stunt, blockchains are very real and working.

Didn’t I say exactly the same thing in my post?