Blank GLMakie.jl window make system unusable while open

Whenever I make something simple as even a large blank Makie window my system becomes unusable. For example, if I switch back to vs code it takes a good 3-4 seconds for the text to show up in the editor window, and the instant the Makie window is closed usability is back. I have looked in the activity monitor to see if there is anything that would jump out, but the CPU doesn’t seem to be under that much load. The fan does kick on pretty quickly, so I am wondering if the Activity monitor is missing something.

I am new to using Makie but would assume that this shouldn’t be the normal behavior.

As it is a Laptop I have checked and the behavior is more or less consistent plugged in or not, so that makes me wonder whether the integrated graphics chip is always getting used. Is there a way I can check which GPU is being used?

Is it expected for Makie to bog the system down?
Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

System Info:
Mac OSX 10.15
2016 15" macbook pro
16 gig memory
Graphics:
Radeon Pro 455 2 GB
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

makie is a bit of a resource hog, as the gpu computes the whole scene every frame, and there is currently no function to only redraw when something changes in the scene, but I have a macbook one year younger with similar specs, and I don’t see this much of an impact (it just uses up my battery relatively quickly)

Some additional information:
The retina display resolution is 2880x1800, but my resolution is set to 1920 x 1200.

But when I make a scene with the resolution of the native retina display it is still not full screen, which can be seen in the picture below.

The test code I am using is:

using AbstractPlotting, GLMakie
scene=Scene(resolution = (2880,1800))
scene

I did try setting the framerate = 1, and that did make the make the system atleast usable. Though if you look at my additional information post, this is feeling more like I should post an issue.