Beyond Python: Julia and The New Path Forward for HPC and Technical Computing

Beyond Python: Julia and The New Path Forward for HPC and Technical Computing

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 20 10:00AM CT

Join us next week, Wednesday, March 20, at 10:00 a.m. CT for our next Dell Technologies HPC & AI Community event, “Beyond Python: Julia and The New Path Forward for HPC and Technical Computing.”

Have you ever heard of the “two-language problem” in HPC? It starts innocently enough — a domain expert cobbles together an application using Python. It works and becomes useful. As larger, more sophisticated problems are introduced, the performance seems to lag, and the ability to run at scale is challenging. Sage advice from HPC programmers will tell you to rewrite your Python application in a compiled fast language like C, C++, or even FORTRAN. You can use libraries like MPI or OpenMP to provide parallel operation. You are now facing the two-language problem in HPC.

The open-source language Julia was designed to solve this problem by providing all the features — including fast execution — that HPC and technical computing users need to grow their applications. This session will introduce the Julia language and demonstrate a few unique features. Attendees will also learn where they can download their own version of Julia and continue investigating this powerful language.
https://www.dellhpc.org/event/da48d66a-3b8e-4875-a809-59e051490925/summary?session=de9c675c-9e3b-4de8-9bc8-101de7c9ed72&shareLink=true

19 Likes

When I press “Register for Session”, the page reloads. What am I doing wrong?

Good to see Julia at Dell HPC.

1 Like

@juliohm I agree this is confusing. Go to this page
https://www.dellhpc.org/event/da48d66a-3b8e-4875-a809-59e051490925/summary

At the top right select Register for the Community
Then register as a guest. There are two types of registration - if your company or institute has an NDA with Dell you register as a community member.
I can assure everyone this is a superb technical forum with high quality talks. There are no intrusive marketing follow ups.

Once you register as a guest you get a code which lets you attend session.

2 Likes

Shameless bump for this talk. It happens soon.
If you have trouble registering please send me a message.

3 Likes

I registered as a guest. The “Register for session” button appears to still be a no-op. But I should still be able to attend the session anyway now that I can log in?

Edit: realizing now that I missed it. Any chance it was recorded?

1 Like

Yes the session was recorded. I will find the link.

3 Likes

Following this up. To see the recorded talk : Home - Dell Technologies HPC & AI Community
Select Register for the Community at the top right
Then select Already Registered at the top right
You will be sent a six digit code to allow you access.

2 Likes