Basic problem with specifying dependencies

Hi there, I have this recurring error pattern which I can’t seem to “grok” from the Packages documentation so I’ll ask. I load my package with import MyPackage, then I get

Warning: Package MyPackage does not have Dates in its dependencies:
│ - If you have MyPackage checked out for development and have
│   added Dates as a dependency but haven't updated your primary
│   environment's manifest file, try `Pkg.resolve()`.
│ - Otherwise you may need to report an issue with MyPackage
└ Loading Dates into MyPackage from project dependency, future warnings for MyPackage are suppressed.
ERROR: LoadError: LoadError: ArgumentError: Package MyPackage does not have OrderedCollections in its dependencies:
- If you have MyPackage checked out for development and have
  added OrderedCollections as a dependency but haven't updated your primary
  environment's manifest file, try `Pkg.resolve()`.
- Otherwise you may need to report an issue with MyPackage

The package is in local development using dev myPackage. I then use activate MyPackage in Package mode (because I launch Julia from a shortcut where I can’t specify a specific project). Then, I add those packages: add Dates, add OrderedCollections, etc. Then, I re-import MyPackage and it works.

Then, after I close and restart Julia (I’m on Windows), I get those same errors again. I check both my Manifest.toml and Project.toml files and both dependencies are listed in there. What am I doing wrong?

Also, why is the first instance of the problem (for Dates) a warning, but the second one (for OrderedCollections) an error?

after adding those to your pkg’s Project.toml, you need to do resolve in your main environment, not when active MyPackage. You can do an empty ]activate to come back

1 Like