BADCERT_NOT_TRUSTED error while updating the Registry?

Do you think this could be documented? In my experience while researching this, the globals of HTTP, Downloads and Curl are very deeply hidden.

Yeah, thanks!

I’ll keep doing this everytime it fails. I think it may be related to my organization’s outgoing connections (VPN and whatnot), so I don’t know if I could talk the IT guys into investing time to solve this.

Anyway, it works, and I’ll check the answer in case anyone else suffers from this!

Of course it could and it should be. As far as I can see we only have the Readme of GitHub - JuliaLang/Downloads.jl and the official Downloads · The Julia Language

Both are very short and we had some questions about downloads and certificates in the past and everytime it wasn’t straight forward to find a solution. I believe the reason for this somehow not optimal documentation is, that downloading or accessing resources over the network was a kind of work in progress in the past and using curl/libcurl maybe not the last word on this.

I found that my past me had solved this and left the temporary solution in a WORKAROUND.jl file, which I was conveniently going to create with this new solution. Not super secure also, and not super well documented (only here).

Anyway, the old solution was:

julia> ENV["JULIA_NO_VERIFY_HOSTS"] = "pkg.julialang.org,storage.julialang.org"

For a manual call to Downloads.download this still works. Have you tried this for the Pkg.update?

Yeah, I did the full try with it!

Hmm, perhaps it doesn’t work because some servers are missing like eu-central.pkg.julialang.org, storage.julialang.net (probably because of load balancers).
Is a wildcard allowed like:

ENV["JULIA_NO_VERIFY_HOSTS"] = "*"

?
This would be the easiest if it would work.

No no, I think I expressed badly. I meant that it works!

So yeah, this is the simplest solution. Anyway, more documentation on the Dowloads package is still a good output from this thread.

1 Like