Atom versus VS code

I totally agree. It’s just that sometimes the configuration takes too much effort and would still break for no apparent reason. Tinkering around is fun but eventually you’d just want to get on, getting actual productive work done. The plugins in the more “modern” editors do a decent job most of the time for the functionalities offered by Emacs/Vim. For example the Vim plugins in VSCode/IntelliJ aren’t quite there yet with Evil, but they’re close enough. Actually I still do most of my Elixir coding in Emacs (until plugins in other editors can catch up, the experience in Emacs is really good). It’s just that you’d have to make adjustments/choices based on situations instead of sticking to one thing forever regardless of the actual conditions.

It’s just that sometimes the configuration takes too much effort

I totally agree, for me changing to spacemacs was a total game changer. A very comprehensive collection of packages and they thought of a good user experience.

3 Likes

Yeah fellow Spacemacs user here. Too bad there isn’t a comprehensive Julia solution yet that’s why I’ve been using Juno for that :grinning:

check out this one, it is pretty good: https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/pull/10444, it is just that the spacemacs maintainers are pretty slow to merge new layers.

Haha that’s where I commented whether I can use it already in the thread a month ago. Will try it out soon when I work on the next Julia project!

I am using it on a daily basis and it is better than ESS, especially the terminal.