Array of tuples into a pure array of integers

New to Julia from Python so I am not used to all of these types, sorry if this is super simple but I have had no luck in my google searches.

Can someone help me turn an array of tuples into a pure array of integers.

For example:

cartesian_array = [(1,2) (2,2) (3,2)]
new_array = [1 2; 2 2; 3 2]

just to post root cause here:
https://github.com/JuliaStats/Distances.jl/issues/177

so basically the question was how to convert CartesianIndex to Array most efficiently (since Distances.jl doesn’t like Tuple either)

1 Like

Glad to see you are giving Julia a look! It’s a great language to use.

In Julia, [1 2; 2 2; 3 2] means a 2D matrix where spaces separate entries in a row, and semicolons separate different rows. Are you looking for this or a flat array?

Not sure if these are the best ways but if you needed some simple conversions:
For flat array: [(cartesian_array...)...] credit
For a matrix: [x[i] for x in [cartesian_array...], i in 1:2]

For a significantly faster approach, you can use reinterpret and reshape to do the conversion without even having to copy the data:

julia> cartesian_array = [(1,2) (2,2) (3,2)]
1×3 Array{Tuple{Int64,Int64},2}:
 (1, 2)  (2, 2)  (3, 2)

julia> reshape(reinterpret(Int, cartesian_array), (2, :))
2×3 reshape(reinterpret(Int64, ::Array{Tuple{Int64,Int64},2}), 2, 3) with eltype Int64:
 1  2  3
 2  2  2

reinterpret creates a lazy view into an existing array, interpreting it as a different data type. In this case, we are interpreting a list of tuples as a flat vector of integers. reshape then creates another view of that same data with a different shape, in this case a 2xN matrix.

Note that this produces a 2xN matrix instead of an Nx2 matrix. That’s almost always what you want in Julia, since Julia is column major (this is the opposite of C, C++, and NumPy which are row-major). If it’s not what you want, you can call transpose to get the Nx2 version instead (transpose is lazy too, so this doesn’t copy any of the data).

Comparing performance:

julia> N = 100

julia> cartesian_array = [(rand(Int), rand(Int)) for _ in 1:N];

julia> function f1(c)
         [x[i] for x in [cartesian_array...], i in 1:2]
       end
f1 (generic function with 1 method)

julia> function f2(c)
         transpose(reshape(reinterpret(Int, c), (2, :)))
       end
f2 (generic function with 1 method)

julia> using BenchmarkTools

julia> @btime f1($cartesian_array);
  2.450 μs (107 allocations: 6.81 KiB)

julia> @btime f2($cartesian_array);
  10.288 ns (0 allocations: 0 bytes)

Using reshape and reinterpret is about 240 times faster than the list comprehension approach for a 100-element array.

4 Likes