Arpack does not build in 1.0 / Manjaro Linux

Thanks. Just a quick question, why there are different repositories? I mean, managing repository of Julia for so many distros of Linux and bsd already takes much time, for Fedora there are 2 repositories… If this one works, why the official doesn’t

As far as I know, the only official distribution of Julia is through the website and the github releases - those packages provided by various package managers are user maintained and not officially supported. They are mentioned in the ‘Plattform specific’ page just for conveniences sake, but also with the caveat that they’re community maintained and may differ from the official releases or not work as expected.

The difference between the official Fedora package and the Copr package is just that the former has to stay on the minor Julia version that was packaged when the distro was released (1.0 for F29). OTC, I upload the latest Julia version to the Copr as soon as it’s released. Other than that, packages should be identical.

And indeed, in my tests I don’t get any error when installing Arpack with either package. Could you try from a clean package depot (using e.g. JULIA_DEPOT_PATH=/tmp/pkg /bin/julia), and if it still fails post the full log here (including /tmp/pkg/packages/Arpack/*/deps/build.log)?

I heard that Fedora 30 will deprecate yum and use dnf exclusively. Will that be an issue?

Also, since you have no problem building arpack on Julia 1.1, I think I will wait a while for the 1.1 on official repository.

No, actually yum is just a wrapper for dnf for several releases already.

As I said, I don’t have any problem with Julia 1.0 from the official repository either.