Anyone crazy enough to develop a pure Julia GUI toolbox?

Copy/paste in text boxes would be nice too

You know what would be amazing? A natural language description to gui code chatbot.

ā€œI need a window with a plot tool and a set of inputs for the quantities ā€¦ Put a scroll bar on the left that scrolls the pane of inputs ā€¦ Now do it in a dark theme with small drop shadows around the controlsā€¦ When you hover over each control pop up a hint boxā€¦ Now write the hint textā€¦ā€

3 Likes

javascript is not a visual language, it canā€™t do any UI things. It can only code UI things. Thereā€™s a world of difference.

Is anybody familiar with the guiEditor, a visual graphical user interface editor for GNU Octave?

guiEditor appears similar to MathWorks guide, and it is in active development. It utilizes the Qt framework.

It is described in this article.

Perhaps this work might offer inspiration and a path for a similar tool for Julia.

3 Likes

Maybe thatā€™s a meaningful version of the proposed idea? Ie GUIs.jl which wraps other backends like GTK.jl (or potentially Quartz.jl, LinuxWM.jl, WindowsWM.jl, ā€¦) so a unified interface can be used that has a Julia-style design. But probably these frameworks are too different to make this possible.

1 Like

With regards to the excellent Makie plotting package,
one widget I would suggest adding is a tree-type directory and file display with an option to return all the files names in a directory for loading into an application or returning the name of a file or names of a set of files selected within a directory for loading into an application.

I think that there are many common use scenarios for such a widget.
Assume that it would involve a fair bit of gruntwork.

As a general comment, after having followed this discussion, rather than a full heavyweight Julia GUI toolbox - a massive task, a reinvention of the wheel with a potential steep learning curve for users [re Qt, GTK, etc.], my preference is that the set of Makie widgets becomes the de facto standard for a lightweight Julia [scientific] GUI as the current set of Makie widgets is a very good start.

2 Likes

Seems a perfect fit.

1 Like