[ANN] Revise supports 0.7.0-alpha

To make it easier for people to migrate their packages to 0.7.0-alpha, I just released a new version of Revise. If you’ve been using Revise on 0.6.x, hopefully you’ll notice a number of improvements:

• It’s faster and uses less memory on large projects, because it no longer has to cache the source code for precompiled packages
  • It no longer needs to analyze your source code to try to guess which files are being used to define your project
  • Support for method deletion
  • Support for distributed computing: make a change in the main process, and workers automatically get updated too
  • Support for code stored on NFS file systems (requires user input)
  • Easy hacking on Base, just use Revise.track(Base)

as well as other smaller fixes.

55 Likes

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

(Cannot live without Revise anymore :-D!)

9 Likes

Love it.
If only all packages were catching up that fast.
(I am patiently waiting for FemtoCleaner)

I suspect femtocleaner has a much larger number of changes it has to worry about, so it’s not surprising that it would take some time. Moreover, until a few months ago (when I got overwhelmed with other work) I had been keeping Revise pretty up-to-date, because it was useful for hacking on Base during the development of 0.7.

These “toolchain” items seem like a necessary first step, and I completely understand why people might be reluctant to wade in without them. But hopefully once the major tools are in place, the floodgates will open. Getting so many packages working will require effort from the whole community, so by all means do what you can to help.

9 Likes