ANN: ForestBiometrics.jl

Yeah, @tpoisot is an owner of EcoJulia too, and the EcoJulia package ecosystem will interface with those - PoisotLab is a pretty strong brand in Ecology.
I also agree that the organizations are a key to the positive way Julia is developing - as also discussed here: Why I contribute more to Julia

And agreed @kevbonham , the more we can integrate the interfaces of our packages to generate a coherent ecosystem, the stronger julia will become as a platform for our science, and we should definitely communicate to ensure interoperability. I don’t see necessarily that everything related to living organisms should be confined to a single organisation, in fact I don’t think that would be the best for development. I know BioJulia quite well and there’s almost nothing in there that would be used directly in what we’re developing at EcoJulia (with the exception of phylogenetics). On the other hand, a lot of ecology is spatial, and so a lot will be explicitly based on the packages developed over at JuliaGeo.

But organisations that work together to create a coherent system of connected packages and to safeguard a high consistent level of quality - and that communicate with other organisations to facilitate things like your cross-disciplinary work on micro-organisms - that’s the best model for Julia’s development IMHO.