ANN: Algorithms for Optimization book draft

Update from yesterday. The good news is that the Kindle version I bought is impeccable about everything, in particular the maths symbols and equations show no loss of the original format. Unfortunately, this Kindle edition does not allow us to see two pages side by side (as is usual in the Kindle editions), which is an extremely convenient facility in a book like this.

2 Likes

I had problems copying source code out of the Kindle app on macOS yesterday when I looked at the free first chapter. Specifically, the Kindle app always appends the book title and author to any text copied; which makes it awkward to copy and paste source code :slight_smile:

My preference would still be for the opportunity to purchase a PDF.

We made the raw code for generating the plots, which includes the algorithms as well, available here. Hopefully, that will help facilitate copying and pasting. If you have any comments or suggestions on how we can make it more useful to you, feel free to file an issue.

3 Likes

It appears that the authors have made the entire text of the book available for free online at https://algorithmsbook.com/optimization/!

2 Likes

Yep! And feedback continues to be welcomed, both on Algorithms for Optimization and Algorithms for Decision Making.

11 Likes

That’s excellent! But please, @bengtjo, can you amend the link so that it either points to the website, or specify that it directly downloads a pdf?

2 Likes

Done!

To be clear, there are two books available on the same site. “Algorithms for Optimization” is the main topic of this thread. Since writing that book, the same authors have written another book " Algorithms for Decision Making". These two links are to normal web pages which contain links to a PDF for each book. (I make this clarification about there being two books because it looks like @dpsanders did not understand this and made an incorrect admin edit to the link above :slight_smile: )

4 Likes