Agent-based small-economy modeling

I am starting a project to model local economies using complementary currencies. I expect to start with Stef Kuyper’s EconoSim.jl framework(GitHub - HapponomyOrg/EconoSim.jl: Economic simulation tools). I am inexperienced in ABM but highly motivated. I am open to recommendations for alternative frameworks and, in general, any comments on the feasibility of this project. Short description here: ABM local economics - Google Docs

2 Likes

I don’t know much about EconoSim.jl, but its main dependency, Agents.jl, is very flexible and compares favorably to other ABM frameworks in other languages. My initial guess is that you should be able to write your simulation in Agents.jl even if EconoSim.jl lacks some features you need.

My recommendation is to go through the Agents.jl tutorial, examples and API to learn whether it has the features you need for your simulation. I also think these resources are a good crash course for ABMs. Some things to consider are (1) what is the sequence of updates during each iteration, (2) what actions/rules do the agents use, (3) what information/parameters do the agents use, and (4) in what type of environment do the agents interact (graph space, discrete space etc.)?

2 Likes