A plea for int overflow checking as the default

It’s just a fun example for others to play around with, if they were lacking an example (using this function as an example here is just about the only practical application I can think of for it). Even though BigInt’s are much slower, this Julia function actually is many orders of magnitude faster than Mathematica’s arbitrary precision integers (the Mathematica version of this code basically chokes and doesn’t finish if you try to find the 17th prime or so), so even though you get a performance hit, Julia’s native BigInts are still much better than what other languages offer.

1 Like

Have you looked into Safer Integers? They’re quite fast and they’ll tell you if there’s an overflow. The linked package comes with a plethora of different SafeInt types of different bit sizes.

2 Likes

AMAZING! Thank you so much @Mason!! This is precisely the kind of solution I’ve been seeking!

[edit: add Mason quote]

Yeah the package just came out. Its pretty neat!

Thanks for the encouragement.

I just released v0.0.2, it is tighter and has some corrections.
There is now the start of a background section in the README.

I think your work could be a gate to faster BigInt .
I would bet that a type Union(BigInt,SafeInt) where you would switch to BigInt on overflow instead of throwing
an error would be faster than the current BigInt for many computations (which need Big integers, but only infrequently).

2 Likes

14 posts were split to a new topic: Use of pointer

Hello, I have a small problem with SaferIntegers, still using the same code:

function collatz(lim)
    max=1
    for i in 1:lim
      c=0
      n=SafeUInt64(i)
      while n!=1
        if n&1==0 n>>=1
        else      n=3*n+1
        end
        c+=1
      end
      if c>max
        max=c
        println("at $i new max=$max")
      end
    end
  end

collatz(1000)

ERROR: MethodError: >>(::SaferIntegers.SafeUInt64, ::Int64) is ambiguous. Candidates:

(x::T1, y::T2) where {T2<:Integer, T1<:SaferIntegers.SafeInteger} in SaferIntegers at /home/jmichel/.julia/v0.6/SaferIntegers/src/binary_ops.jl:54
(x::Integer, c::Int64) in Base at operators.jl:528
Possible fix, define
(::T1<:SaferIntegers.SafeInteger, ::Int64)
Stacktrace:
[1] collatz(::Int64) at /home/jmichel/collatz.jl:7

that is a bug – thank you for finding it … on it

@Jean_Michel this should get you through the night:

function collatz(lim)
           max = 1
           for i in 1:lim
            c = 0
            n = SafeUInt64(i)
            while n != 1
              if n&1==0
                n = fld(n,2)   # <<< this is the only edit
              else      
                n = 3*n+1
              end
              c += 1
            end
            if c>max
              max = c
              println("at $i new max=$max")
            end
           end
       end
collatz (generic function with 1 method)

julia> collatz(1000)
at 3 new max=7
at 6 new max=8
at 7 new max=16
at 9 new max=19
at 18 new max=20
at 25 new max=23
at 27 new max=111
at 54 new max=112
at 73 new max=115
at 97 new max=118
at 129 new max=121
at 171 new max=124
at 231 new max=127
at 313 new max=130
at 327 new max=143
at 649 new max=144
at 703 new max=170
at 871 new max=178

Thank you! (I found myself the workaround). I think your package is very useful.
I wonder if a type Union{SafeInt , Bigint} where on overflow conversion is done could work and be faster in the above example (where most Ints are small, very few are big) than using BigInts

I did take your earlier note seriously. I am partway rewriting it and it seems to me that there could a designated SafelyWidens type. Most of the time, it is good not to widen and find the issue and then run larger if appropriate. I do understand there are important uses where one wants the widening – but do you really want to jump into BigInts? What about expanding to Int128 and sitting there?

My need arose while porting a part of the group theory system GAP to Julia. In this system you meet integers
that need to be exact but can be arbitrarily big (like the order of the monster simple group, or of the finite group of Lie type E_8 over the field with 2 elements). Most computations produce in practice small integers most of the time, but occasionally big ones, whose size you cannot predict in advance; the behavior of my toy example is similar, which is why I gave it.

Of course different applications may have different needs. Union{SafeInt64, SafeInt128} may be what’s needed
in some other application.

I know of GAP. Once SafeInts get larger than Int128, they are unlikely to regroup – is that a problem? I cannot extend Safety beyond Int128.

Not regrouping — you mean not converting back automatically to a smaller type when possible? It could probably be a problem sometimes, but much more uncommon than the need for widening: it would be uncommon enough that doing it manually when needed (at the end of a computation, or some chosen
step in it) would suffice.

yes That is what I meant. Ok – on the stack.

I made changes that might solve the shifting.
For organizational sanity, they reside on another branch: “shift”.
If you need help to get that branch being the one you use – ask.

(I cannot test it tonight, so let me know of any fixups)

@Jean_Michel

I think you are simply misusing BigInt. I get much better timings by using inplace operations (the following works only on 0.7; I don’t know whether the GMP/MPZ wrapper exists in 0.6)

#using Int
@btime collatz_small(5000)
  736.384 ��s (0 allocations: 0 bytes)

#using BigInt, essentially your code
@btime collatz_slow(5000)
  134.810 ms (3111832 allocations: 53.44 MiB)

#using inplace ops
@btime collatz_fast(5000)
  8.832 ms (3 allocations: 48 bytes)

The code:

using Base.GMP.MPZ
using BenchmarkTools

function collatz_small(lim)
  max=1
  i=1    
  while i<lim
     i+=1
     c=0
     n=i
     while n>1
       if n&1==0 
         n>>=1
       else 
         n=3*n+1
       end
       c+=1
     end
     if c>max
       max=c
       #println("at $i new max=$max")
     end
  end
  max
end

function collatz_slow(lim)
  max=1
  i=1    
  while i<lim
     i+=1
     c=0
     n=BigInt(i)
     while n>1
       if n&1==0 
         n>>=1
       else 
         n=3*n+1
       end
       c+=1
     end
     if c>max
       max=c
     end
  end
  max
end

function collatz_fast(lim)
  max=1
  i=UInt(1)
  n=BigInt(0)
  while i<lim
     i+= 1
     c=0
     MPZ.set_ui!(n,i)
     while n>1
       if !(MPZ.tstbit(n,0))
        MPZ.fdiv_q_2exp!(n,1)        
       else 
         MPZ.mul_ui!(n,UInt(3))
         MPZ.add_ui!(n,UInt(1))         
       end
       c+=1
     end
     if c>max
       max=c
     end
  end
  max
end

@btime collatz_small(5000)
@btime collatz_slow(5000)
@btime collatz_fast(5000)

I do not think I am “misusing BigInt”. I assumed that BigInt can be used in a natural way to write natural code,
which can be written the same way independently of the datatype used.
Honestly, if one has to write the kind of direct-calling-C library code that you do, then I do not see the point
of using a high-level language like Julia. Perhaps your code shows that the current implementation of BigInt is misusing MPZ.

3 Likes

Perhaps your code shows that the current implementation of BigInt is misusing MPZ.

You are of course completely right, code like the above only makes sense post profiling and is generally a pain. Unfortunately I don’t think that this is easy to fix on the language level, in a way that does not misuse MPZ but is just as easy to use as Int (fundamentally because BigInt want to be mutable, while Int wants to be immutable).

I think there could be syntactic sugar to make the above code less ugly, because you are right that “julia can be just as fast as C (if you write it to look just like C)” is not exactly a shining endorsement.

I hope something could be done with macros, or by appropriating dot-notation (broadcast!), in order to make fast BigInt code just as medium-easy to write as non-allocating code handling arrays: use in-place ops, hoist allocation of temporaries out of loops, rarely use direct MPZ/BLAS calls only if the syntactic sugar fails; loop fusion does not really apply to BigInt, since MPZ does not really offer a lot of fused operations in the API (and the libgmp addmul is not even exposed by Base.GMP.MPZ).

I would hope for an even more greedy solution: Ensure that this more complicated in-place code can be written to also work for immutables / plain Int. This is AFAIK a huge problem in the differential equation community, where you ideally would write code that is generic for arrays and static arrays (which doesn’t really work today if you want speed). Of course this cannot work every time: There are in-place algorithms that do not really work with immutables (because of scoping), and Ref appears to be too slow (according to ChrisRackauckas).