Confused by package directory environments

Although this thread helped me a great deal already, there’s still something that escapes me. I reproduced the package directory example in the docs. However, I am still unable to use it properly.

One thing that clearly doesn’t work (the first thing I tried) was to create that structure, then

$ julia
julia> import Aardvark
ERROR: ArgumentError: Package Aardvark not found in current path:

I now understand why this is happening. I fired up julia without specifying a project, and so julia uses the @v1.6 by default (the "@v#.#" entry in LOAD_PATH). Since the packages are not present anywhere in the LOAD_PATH, julia doesn’t see them.

Following the advice here, I ran the following

$ cd <root of package dir>
$ julia --project=.
julia>]
(julia) pkg> dev Bobcat
<Success>
(julia) pkg> dev Aardvark
[ Info: Resolving package identifier `Aardvark` as a directory at `<root of package dir>/Aardvark`.
ERROR: could not find project file in package at `Aardvark` maybe `subdir` needs to be specified

Could you please let me know what I’m doing wrong here? My understanding is the dev <package> looks for a Project.toml file, and fails when it doesn’t see any. However, because I created a package directory, somehow Aardvark should count as a package. julia gave me a similar error when I tried adding an X.jl file present at the root as a package.

What am I missing?