Write documentation PRs not blog posts

Two points on this.

1. If the core developers of the package are also the authors of the blog post, a pull request can be a formal way to seek permission to reuse the text or content. If the blog author is a third party, they can also be tagged in the pull request and explicitly asked for permission.

I would be extremely transparent about where content originates from and who wrote it. It’s also possible to restate or paraphrase the content, although this must be done carefully.

1. While the core developers are likely the most qualified to write the documentation, they probably have the least amount of time to write it. They are likely also the most qualified to write new code.

If there is something I can do to provide a developer with a one-click merge button to advance the state the project, I figure out how to do it. If cannot, I create an issue.

Adapting, John F. Kennedy’s phrasing “Ask not what open source core developers can do for you – ask what you can do for your open source core developers”.

Yes, I acknowledge the hurdles above, but I think there are ways to lower them. One tactic I have used is to solciit documetation help here on Discourse.

For example, see

2 Likes