Why Nelder-Mead minimization without minimal property check?

Thank @lmiq and @pnavaro for the pointers to PRIMA. I hope it will be useful to the Julia community.

As a maintainer of Powell’s solvers, I am delighted that you @pkofod are interested in these methods. However, I would suggest never implementing these methods from scratch by only looking at the book you mentioned or any other literature. The implementation of these methods is notorious HARD. Powell mentioned that “The development of NEWUOA has taken nearly three years. The work was very frustrating”. For more elaboration on this particular point, you may refer to my talk at The 10th International Congress on Industrial and Applied Mathematics (check the slide titled “Implementation of these methods is HARD” and those after).

Unless you want to spend many frustrating years as Powell (and I) did on implementing these methods, it is better to use some existing implementation as a reference. The very first objective of PRIMA is to provide such a reference implementation.

A native Julia implementation of these methods is highly desirable. It is within the plan of PRIMA. It would be great if someone from the Julia community gets sufficiently interested to take the initiative.

Thanks.

8 Likes